AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Japanese are still fighting WWII. I just hope the current DVD format will still be used for new and future movies, DESPITE THE B.S. "innovations" coming from Japan. :mad:

SAN FRANCISCO -- The possibility that consumers will have to choose from two competing DVD formats next year is growing now that negotiations have broken down between the groups behind the different standards.

Japanese electronics giant Sony, which supports a format known as Blu-ray, and a bloc led by Toshiba, which backs the rival HD DVD system, began discussions this year to see whether they could agree on a unified format. But the talks have been suspended indefinitely, according to Andy Parsons, a Blu-ray spokesman.

"We are hopeful that we can still find a resolution," Parsons said. "We still have time to find a way to avoid having two formats go to market, which isn't good for consumers or us."

This is the latest snag in the efforts to avoid a war between the groups, both of which represent Hollywood studios, manufacturers of DVD players and the disk makers. Both sides have publicly criticized the other's technology.

Should the two groups launch their own disks, disk players and separate content, the costs to each group could be in the billions.

Confused shoppers most likely would stick to their old DVDs until a single format is established, said Josh Martin, an analyst with the technology research firm IDC. He said video-rental stores probably wouldn't want to cram their shelves with both Blu-ray and HD DVD disks.

"DVD sales are already hurting, and this is not going to help spur sales," Martin said.

Sony's Blu-ray disks have a more sophisticated format and store 25 gigabytes of data, compared with HD DVD's 15, but are more expensive to produce.

Taro Takamine, a Sony spokesman, said that while Sony remains open to discussion with the Toshiba bloc, the firm's goal is to agree on a single format, not a jointly developed one.

"We have no intention on settling on a compromised format that only plays back 20 gigabytes, for example," Takamine said.

Toshiba spokesman Junko Furuta also acknowledged that a unified format did not look likely for the time being. Blu-ray disks would be harder to adopt for use in laptop computers, as well as in car navigation systems that are popular in Japan, Furuta said.

"We have doubts as to whether the Blu-ray format is a viable technology in terms of production cost," she said. "We're also not convinced that consumers would need to store so much data on disks, especially now that internal hard drives are more popular."

Both sides are already developing products that feature their respective DVD formats. Toshiba plans to roll out HD DVD players by the end of this year, while Sony's popular game console PlayStation 3, which will play Blu-ray disks, is due in spring 2006.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo2004
Confused shoppers most likely would stick to their old DVDs until a single format is established...
This is certainly what I will do. Overall, the video quality of standard DVDs has improved and is much more consistent over the past couple of years. Films will continue to be released in the old format for the foreseeable future, and I can certainly live with it for a few more years until a new standard is established.

-Steve

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey, I've still got a DVD-R ONLY burner in one of my computers. To this day I've never bought a DVD+R disc for my dual format drives.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb
This is certainly what I will do. Overall, the video quality of standard DVDs has improved and is much more consistent over the past couple of years. Films will continue to be released in the old format for the foreseeable future, and I can certainly live with it for a few more years until a new standard is established.

-Steve
I'll be getting the PS3 at launch. That'll be my first foray into the next generation, towards the format that I heavily favor, on paper.

Even at that, I doubt I will stop buying DVD's anytime in the forseeable future.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo2004
The Japanese are still fighting WWII. I just hope the current DVD format will still be used for new and future movies, DESPITE THE B.S. "innovations" coming from Japan. :mad:
No offense but this statement seems less than kind. The Japanese are simply trying to mediate between Hollywoods demands for control and the public's demand for better/faster/cheaper. Apple has crushed Sony with the iPod and Sony just hired an American to run key operations. Its the people that own the content that are driving the bus, don't blame the country. Remember this isn't just an "American" forum.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
When I see 1080p Blu-Ray or HD-DVD and affordable 3 chip DLP projectors that will accept 1080p I might buy something.

Until then my Denon 5910 at 1080i is good enough for me for the next 6 or 7 years if needed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm just hoping for BLU-Ray to become the standard because of PS3. Other than that... I don't see myself shelling out around $1,000 for a true HD-Video player anytime =P However, I will be in the market once it falls to around $400 =] (This is assuming HD-DVD becomes the new standard)

But I do have to agree... the competing formats are annoying.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If they had settled on a standard I would have jumped in once the players dropped to under $500. But, if there's a competing standard I'll have to live with a PS3. This VHS-Beta thing all over again is a big mistake. I hope it won't be like DVD-A and SACD either. This just sucks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
What's that saying about history and doom?

Are they dumb?

Someone *has* to break down - the way they're acting you'd think it's some sort of publicity stunt to get us to cheer and celebrate when a victor is decided.

We who are about to die, salute you! (or however it's supposed to go...)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I wouldn’t loose sleep over it.

At this point it looks as if the movie studios will make the choice for the consumers which format will rain supreme. Blue-Ray has four movies studios support, to HD-DVDs two and it sounds like those two studios may jump ship to Blue-Ray. So no software, no format, Blu-Ray wins.

Some electronic stores have been saying they don’t want to sell two competing formats like DVD-Audio and SACD, they will only carry Blu-ray or HD-DVD on both. Can you see Best-Buy or Circuit City carrying the PS3 and not having movies for it? I can’t

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You may find out exactly what it means, when you have a DVD player which is incompatible with your mother-in-law's, or other relative's player. You know you can't play a DVD on an "eight track" player...Same thing with two different DVD formats (if it comes to that). :mad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
Wrong forum. Very little, if any, to do with "DVD Players (Standard Def)".

larry

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
What is the big deal? This is not an issue for the two DVD camps to decide anyway,though it would be in their best interest to combine their efforts. Otherwise, this decision should (and probably will) be made by the software producers (Hollywood). The media producers should allow each camp (Sony and Toshiba) to present them with their best case, and then they (media producers) will have the final decision. I suspect movide producers would be perfectly happy with HD-DVD, though the computer industry wants the extra capacity of Blu-Ray DVD. Regardless, IMO the final single format will not be up to Sony or Toshiba.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I find it hilarious that we are having Beta VS VHS all over again. I will be sitting this one out for a long time. Hollywood is so concerned with Pirating, they will be the driving force in the format war. It will be ugly, that's for sure.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX
I find it hilarious that we are having Beta VS VHS all over again. I will be sitting this one out for a long time. Hollywood is so concerned with Pirating, they will be the driving force in the format war. It will be ugly, that's for sure.
This is going to make VHS vs. Beta look like Sesame Street.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.