AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting one of the new model grand wegas, probably the XS 50" (though if they made a 42" i should probably get that but i don't see one besides the WE, which i've seen and don't like).

I was wondering, regarding how everyone says lcds are slow, for people who have one of the new grand wegas, how are they in regards to speed? When i go check them at the store they are not showing football, which is half the reason i want it, and also i've found is usually pretty demanding, moreso than the discovery hd channel at least, which is what they usually show at the store.

so i'm wondering for you guys who own it do you notice the slow speed or not when watching fast movgin scenes

thx,

chris

·
2,436 Posts
Technically speaking the current batch of LCD panels used in RPTV's have the slowest response times out of the technologies. Will you actually see the smear is a different thing altogether. Go watch some LCDs on a weekend while the games are on and see.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
This was a concern of mine as well. Someone mentioned their Sony WE had major motion blur and I live for football among other sports. This would be a deal breaker if it was a major noticeable flaw. If so, are all LCDs the same? Sony, Panny, Hitachi, etc? Would they all experience the same blur?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've stared at these different LCD sets in stores for over a month now, and have never seen anything that would equate to blur caused by LCD lag. I think the panels response time maybe slower than other technologies as mentioned, but still faster than your brain when it comes to blurred images. Remember, your brain's happy with 24 FPS in films due to it's own built in lag. ( yes, I know they show each frame twice, so it's really 48 FPS, but you know what I mean. )

Jeff

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I've watched numerous football (real football, aka "soccer") games on INHD, along with quite a few tennis matches. I've only seen motion artifacts on poor quality (highly compressed) signals, but I've seen the same on CRT RPTV's. I think the current crop of LCD panels for RPTV handle motion just fine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
football in SD, you WILL see blur, everything looks fine until the ball is snapped, then everything is slightly blurred (especially white colored jerseys)

you will see the same if you watch the news and look closely at the newscaster, everything looks great but the slightest motion on the part of the newscaster and his face looses detail slightly.

You can make simple adjustments in the user menu to reduce this effect.

Watching an HD broadcast football game looks awesome, no blur.

btw... I originally had the new kdf-50we655 and returned it for last years kf-50we610. SD on the 610 is actually better than the new 655 series, SD football on the 655 was unwatchable. (HD performaance was about the same on both models, although I would say the 655 was slighty better)

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Be careful about what you attribute to the display device compared to what is actually in the signal. A lot of the blurriness and loss of definition when viewing standard definition signals comes from the MPEG compression applied to the source signal and not from the display device. Hence, you may find this when watching on any large high-definition set, regardless of display technology.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slordak
Be careful about what you attribute to the display device compared to what is actually in the signal. A lot of the blurriness and loss of definition when viewing standard definition signals comes from the MPEG compression applied to the source signal and not from the display device. Hence, you may find this when watching on any large high-definition set, regardless of display technology.
Agreed that source does play a part in this, but i stand by what I stated in my post above. OTA SD broadcast appears blurry, no compression there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.