AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have trouble with American Idol on Replay?

We had problems last season, and now again this season. It's almost like that bright, animated graphic (with the long-armed guy) they use to go in and out of segments overexposes on the hard drive, and then when we playback it's way over exposed all the way through, and pixelates, too. We've never had this problem on any other show. We actually watched AI live last night (horrors!) b/c my DH said it was too annoying to watch it on replay.

Anyone? Bueller?

Just curious,

Robin

·
Registered
742 Posts
Nope. Looks great on mine. I guess you've tried it "live" not thru replay. Do you have a digital camera and can you take picture of TV with and without replay and post here.

The way MPEG compresses, it doesn't know one program from the other. However, if your saying a particular segment makes it go wierd, it's possible I guess if the Iframe (I think) gets screwed. Real wierd though. Mmmm.. What's your signal like on this station ? I have seen scenes of Oceans / Boats on Oceans get messed up because I think the processor cannot keep up with that much detail to compress/size of changes frame to frame.

Slightly OT: It was very funny last 2 nights. Also I refuse to watch it live. 35 mins and a good laugh. The whole family love it and we don't say that about much on TV :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I agree. The auditions are the funniest thing. I've never watched the show before, but the teasers of the auditions made it too compelling to miss.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No problem here either. I record it in standard mode, as the improvement to standard mode is so good, why use medium? The file is half the size!

In any case, never had a problem with AI. It could be that particular channel you are recording off of.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!

I'm recording in standard. The channel live looks fine on digital cable, just the replay playback is funky. I'll get our digital camera out tonight and see if I can make a record of this.

We record everything standard, and have never had this problem in over a year of use on anything but AI. Running digital cable through the ReplayTV. (We have 2 boxes). Other things off Fox look fine.

Beats me.

PS also slightly OT: It is the best laugh out there, except for the people falling down on America's Funniest. We keep some of those on Replay, and when we need huge belly laughs, we watch one of those.

·
Registered
195 Posts
After the first 3 or 4 shows, the distortion clears up and the voices sound better.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bdowns83
The audio is really screwed up on mine. Seems to distort all the contestant's voices.
Hehehehe - Are you sure they're being distorted? Many of them are REALLY awful :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
I cannot believe, after all the ribbing Paula and Randy gave Simon last year about his rudeness, this year they are copying him for the most part. Randy is now just plain rude too.... (read honest). What I love about Simon is he just gives it as he sees it. Simon is the coolest Brit ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by franc11s
I cannot believe, after all the ribbing Paula and Randy gave Simon last year about his rudeness, this year they are copying him for the most part. Randy is now just plain rude too.... (read honest). What I love about Simon is he just gives it as he sees it. Simon is the coolest Brit ;)
Maybe that's what happens when you get your stomach stapled and lose 100 pounds! He was on an Oprah about a week or two ago (my wife made me watch it!) and talked about it. Sorry, I don't remember what date it was in case you want to get it via IVS.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I was actually feeling bad for the judges after awhile. I mean we only see about 3 hours of this spread over several days. They go through weeks of mostly bad auditions. 99.9% of the time those judges are right saying those people have no business even trying out.

However, it does make for some funny TV :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace987
I was actually feeling bad for the judges after awhile. I mean we only see about 3 hours of this spread over several days. They go through weeks of mostly bad auditions. 99.9% of the time those judges are right saying those people have no business even trying out.

However, it does make for some funny TV :)
The "talent screeners" (those that weed out the thousands of applicants before they get to the judges) are not necessarily looking for the best talent, but those who they think will make for the "most entertaining show". American Idol would not be anywhere near as popular if they only let talented singers in to see Randy, Simon, and Paula. My daughter knows two very talented singers who didn't get to audition in front of Randy, Simon, & Paula because they already had "enough of that type".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.