AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there ANY American-sold DVD players that can play all regions?

All I am finding are hack kits and order forms for Hong Kong (just send us your money order, we'll be sure you get your player).

I have noticed that a fair amount of DVDs have DTS overseas and just Dolby Digital here.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

OUT

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think you'll find with a little research about 85 percent of player sold in america at normal retailers can play region free. Probably 25 percent of those can be made to play region free without the need of hardware modification. Some of those need a remote keystroke trick while others (like mentioned previosly) can be upgraded via cd.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Ciper,

Can you be more specific? I'm specifically interested in getting RP91 and RP56.

I'm obviously interested in as little modification as possible (CDR is fine, but keystrokes are better :) ).

Can you provide us a link to somewhere that does this (privately, if you prefer).

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
Ciper,

Can you be more specific? I'm specifically interested in getting RP91 and RP56.

I'm obviously interested in as little modification as possible (CDR is fine, but keystrokes are better :) ).

Can you provide us a link to somewhere that does this (privately, if you prefer).
I had one done at www.jvb.nl

It was strictly a software upgrade, and, if a "keystroke" means that you now have new options on your OSD from the remote, that's what this was.

Mine was a Pioneer DV-F727. I believe that JVB is the American representative for a Swiss Company which developed the upgrades. It also disabled macrovision.

Mine cost about $100 USD. Works fine, but I'm selling the player.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the links, but my Panasonic RV80 wasn't hackable.

The keystroke or CD-R idea sounds great! Anyone know of a non-chroma bug DVD player that fits that description?

OUT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.