AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up the other day on a two for one special. I didn't even know this was out on DVD. Although it is a horror it is also part comedy, drama and love story. I was surprised there was an option for both DD and DTS soundtracks. More importantly the DTS sound (haven't tried DD) isn't half bad considering the age of this movie. The songs like Bad Moon Rising, Moondance, Bluemoon are extremely clear and crisp. The sound effects like the rain were pretty realistic as well. The PQ however seemed to have a bit of video noise or movie grain but the colors seemed pretty decent. This movie holds up really well after all these years - a great addition IMHO and Halloween is just around the corner.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Got the Collector's Edition of this, and its beautifully mastered IMO. One of the best horror films ever made. Often imitated, never duplicated.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Excellent movie but the video noise in the white areas while watching on my front projector are just unbearable. Guess I'll try the Howling next.

Petey

·
Registered
130 Posts
Great movie, but the layer change sucks! It occurs when David wakes up in the wolf cage at the zoo. He climbs the wall and jumps over and out of the cage. His head should disappear as he clears the wall. Because of the layer change, the image freezes with his head peeking over the wall and then cuts to the next shot.

I hate bad layer changes! :mad:

Does anyone know how players handle layer changes? Is there a buffer? Would a larger buffer eliminate the jarring layer changes that some movies have? :confused:

I know it only takes a second, but the placement of some of these layer changes really pulls me out of the movie. :eek:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recall a slight pause in the layer change but not as bad as what Show mentioned. FWIW - I'm using a Denon 1600 DVD player.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
A different player might do a better job on layer changes, show.

I'm pretty sure this puppy was shot on 35mm, hence the slightly more pronounced grain. The grain generally seemed to be well-focused though. And although it was easily visible in some scenes, it didn't interfere with my viewing enjoyment on a Sony direct-view 34xbr800 CRT, FWIW. The add'l grittiness just made the experience more filmic. ;) On some films, the grain seems slightly out of focus, and that drives me nutty.

The color and contrast in it were great though IMO. Amazing color in the Piccadilly scenes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I should have mentioned the player(s) that I've watched this movie on. They are the Panasonic RP82, Pioneer 563A, and Sony DVP5?? (can't remember). All these players handle this layer change the same way. I'm not complaining so much about how long the DVD player takes to make the layer change, as to the placement of it. When David hops over the wall, you expect him to drop down out of sight. But the layer change causes it to pause with his head magically suspended above the wall before it completes the layer change and proceeds to the next shot.

I think that if the people transferring the films to DVD would pick better spots for the layer change, we'd barely notice them.

:)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Love this film!

A quick comment on grain re: AWIL...

There are a number of grainy shots due to optical effects for transitions, credits, etc. used at the time. Whenever there is a dissolve from one shot to the next, each side of the transition is a dupe.

There are a few long takes - ex. being the funny, long dialogue of "nothing boring about that body!" - which are grainy because the entire shot is affected by the optical (I believe in that case, it is a dissolve to the next shot).

Overall, I thought it was a very good transfer given the elements used. If one looks carefully, the image snaps into better resolution whenever there are hard cuts.

This is actually the case with many films of the period which used traditional opticals.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
All I know is that you guys are almost 10 posts into an AWiL thread and still no mention of Jenny Agutter :(
I was going to mention her in the original thread but didn't want to sound like the type of guy who would hang out in the theatre of the last scene. But yes she is a babe and there is a good scene with her if you want to verify the fleshtones on your projector or TV :D

Show, I just played the zoo scene back and I agree the layer change does kind of suck and now I notice it. Damn you:mad:

·
Registered
194 Posts
This movie and The Howling are probably the best werewolf movies ever made. I like the comedic value of this film. I think it just made the movie that much better. FWIW the second installment of this movie wasnt THAT bad. If you just try to think of it as its own movie and not a part 2 to AWIL.

BTW, IMO the grain adds to the feel of the film.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
A question for Jenny Agutter fans... is she a regular on MI5 or did I just happen to catch a guest appearance?

And yes, she was a big part of what made AWIL so great. I can't imagine anyone else in that role but her.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADU
A question for Jenny Agutter fans... is she a regular on MI5 or did I just happen to catch a guest appearance?

And yes, she was a big part of what made AWIL so great. I can't imagine anyone else in that role but her.
Jenny is just one of the hottest women ever, and a fine actress. I don't know why she doesn't work more. One word:

WALKABOUT :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.