AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
US internet users watched 32.4 billion videos in January 2010, according to the comScore Video Metrix service.

Google Sites Account for 4 in 10 Online Videos

Google Sites ranking as the top US video property with 12.8 billion videos, or 39.5% of total online videos viewed. YouTube.com accounted for nearly 99% of all videos viewed at the property, writes MarketingCharts.

Hulu ranked second with 903.1 million videos, or 2.8% of the all online videos viewed. Microsoft Sites ranked third with 491.8 million (1.5%) followed by Yahoo Sites with 435.5 million (1.3%), and Viacom Digital with 361.2 million (1.1%).

Google Sites Attract Most Unique Viewers

More than 173 million viewers watched an average of 187 videos per viewer during the month of January 2010. Google Sites attracted 136.5 million unique viewers during the month (93.9 videos per viewer), followed by Yahoo Sites with 51.5 million viewers (8.5 videos per viewer) and CBS Interactive with 41.2 million viewers (5.3 videos per viewer). The average Hulu viewer watched 23.5 videos during the month, representing an all-time high for the property.
Quote:
The average Hulu viewer watched 23.5 videos, totaling 2.3 hours of videos per viewer.
http://www.marketingvox.com/american...jan-10-046402/

·
Banned
350 Posts
How many of those are full lenght feature or episode and not college humor type shorts. You have to keep things in perspective you know...

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18372828

How many of those are full lenght feature or episode and not college humor type shorts. You have to keep things in perspective you know...

Which is why it is so impressive that Hulu served up 903.1 million videos.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If it consisted of 903 million 22 minute or 44 minute videos, yes, that would be impressive. If it was 875 million 90 second videos and 28 million 22 minute videos...no.

Hulu knows but they ain't sayin'.

Youtube videos...don't even go there.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/18373688

If it consisted of 903 million 22 minute or 44 minute videos, yes, that would be impressive. If it was 875 million 90 second videos and 28 million 22 minute videos...no.

It is cute that there are some who seem to think that long-form online video viewing is not growing in breadth and depth.

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/18376197

It is cute that there are some who seem to think that long-form online video viewing is not growing in breadth and depth.

And it's even more cute to see some swallowing what is at most a tainted point of view.

It's common knowledge that by far that people only watch short clip on the net. Jokes, news clips, part of shows.

Unless they give the complete and detailed list of what people really watch then we only have their word to go on. And sorry, but their word isn't worth a damn.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18377151

And it's even more cute to see some swallowing what is at most a tainted point of view.

It's common knowledge that by far that people only watch short clip on the net. Jokes, news clips, part of shows.

Unless they give the complete and detailed list of what people really watch then we only have their word to go on. And sorry, but their word isn't worth a damn.

So comScore is not a good source for info... but evidently you are.

The trend of growth, including long form video is clear. It truly is amusing that some are so troubled with that trend that they must come into a forum and whine about it.

What would be great is if people actually came in with sources or data that showed a different trend. At least then the viewpoint would look like something besides denial.

·
Banned
2,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/18373688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18377151

Unless they give the complete and detailed list of what people really watch then we only have their word to go on.
And sorry, but their word isn't worth a damn.

Indeed. From the link provided in the OP:

■The average Hulu viewer watched 23.5 videos, totaling 2.3 hours of videos per viewer

■The duration of the average online video was 4.1 minutes.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/18376197

4.1 minutes....

I'm not sure why you equate questioning the data with whining.

Please explain.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/18378740

4.1 minutes....

I'm not sure why you equate questioning the data with whining.

Please explain.

Again, you are missing the trend compared from recent reports including in Fall of 09.

For Hulu, the average number of videos watched has increased 20% and the average time spent watching videos is up 15%.

The average length of ALL online videos is up 5%.

Again, it is cute to see that people think that long-form online video is not growing in breadth and depth.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
So would that make fall of 09 average 3.8 minutes?

I see where i'm wrong..I thought long form would be like...a half hour tv show...being that hulu is about tv....

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/18379051

Again, you are missing the trend compared from recent reports including in Fall of 09.

For Hulu, the average number of videos watched has increased 20% and the average time spent watching videos is up 15%.

The average length of ALL online videos is up 5%.

Again, it is cute to see that people think that long-form online video is not growing in breadth and depth.

So for you a "long form video" is 4.1 minutes in length...

That is what I call a short attention span.

So it went up form 3 minutes or so to 4 minutes... Wow what a trend. In 20 years they may even be able to watch a whole 30 minutes TV episode.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18381828

So for you a "long form video" is 4.1 minutes in length...

That is what I call a short attention span.

So it went up form 3 minutes or so to 4 minutes... Wow what a trend. In 20 years they may even be able to watch a whole 30 minutes TV episode.

That is the average length of ALL online videos. Keep in mind that a large percentage of videos are short user created clips.

The steady depth and breadth growth of long-form video is pulling up the averages despite the very large percentage of short videos that are prevalent on sites like YouTube.

Long form video use is growing. For 3-4 people on this site, that seems to be a problem. Very amusing!

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Again, some perspective on long-form video growth.

Quote:
Online video viewing minutes increased in 2009 by 50% in the U.S. and 30% in Spain, with TV shows and movies accounting for around half of these minutes. "These averages, however, mask the full extent of the change among the subset of the population that watches long-form content online," said Robert C. Fox, a Partner in Oliver Wyman's Communications, Media, and Technology practice. "In the U.S., for example, among those who watch long-form video online, 15% of their total long-form viewing is online and their linear TV and DVD viewing decreased in 2009. Similarly among all 18-34 year-olds, a key advertising demographic, all forms of viewing other than online and mobile dropped in 2009," he added.
http://www.zibb.com/article/5820255/...+if+They+Don+t

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/18382221

That is the average length of ALL online videos. Keep in mind that a large percentage of videos are short user created clips.

The steady depth and breadth growth of long-form video is pulling up the averages despite the very large percentage of short videos that are prevalent on sites like YouTube.

Long form video use is growing. For 3-4 people on this site, that seems to be a problem. Very amusing!

You're falling back on your old habit now.

If people watch more short user user created clip the ratio will also grow but that doesn't mean that people are watching more premium content. It only show that they watched more short useless clips. You are the one, as always, who is reading more into those stats then what they show.

BTW your are the one pushing for an agenda here, not me. I do use some streaming content. Net radio, web video and of course p0rn!

But none of my streaming source are premium content and none are more than a few minutes long. You could say I'm the prime representative of your "trend". I have no desire to watch a full lenght episode via streaming when the end product will be of lesser quality of what I can get from basic cable or by downloading a captured file from a torrent, and both are free.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18383351

You're falling back on your old habit now.

If people watch more short user user created clip the ratio will also grow but that doesn't mean that people are watching more premium content. It only show that they watched more short useless clips. You are the one, as always, who is reading more into those stats then what they show.

BTW your are the one pushing for an agenda here, not me. I do use some streaming content. Net radio, web video and of course p0rn!

But none of my streaming source are premium content and none are more than a few minutes long. You could say I'm the prime representative of your "trend". I have no desire to watch a full lenght episode via streaming when the end product will be of lesser quality of what I can get from basic cable or by downloading a captured file from a torrent, and both are free.

My old habit of putting more weight on statistical data instead of anecdotal commentary? Yes. You are correct.

My only agenda is to share info and knowledge. I first started posting on this topic because of the false anecdotal data being kicked around. I have a strong dislike for viewpoints being persisted by folks ignoring available data. I want to continue providing data so that everyone can see that those persisting on pushing those viewpoints are purposefully doing it in the face of clear trends and data contrary to those viewpoints.

The data clearly points to growth of long-form online video availability and usage. No one has offered a shred of real evidence or analysis to counter that.

Quote:
Online video viewing minutes increased in 2009 by 50% in the U.S. and 30% in Spain, with TV shows and movies accounting for around half of these minutes. "These averages, however, mask the full extent of the change among the subset of the population that watches long-form content online," said Robert C. Fox, a Partner in Oliver Wyman's Communications, Media, and Technology practice. "In the U.S., for example, among those who watch long-form video online, 15% of their total long-form viewing is online and their linear TV and DVD viewing decreased in 2009. Similarly among all 18-34 year-olds, a key advertising demographic, all forms of viewing other than online and mobile dropped in 2009," he added.

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/18383689

My old habit of putting more weight on statistical data instead of anecdotal commentary? Yes. You are correct.

My only agenda is to share info and knowledge. I first started posting on this topic because of the false anecdotal data being kicked around. I have a strong dislike for viewpoints being persisted by folks ignoring available data. I want to continue providing data so that everyone can see that those persisting on pushing those viewpoints are purposefully doing it in the face of clear trends and data contrary to those viewpoints.

The data clearly points to growth of long-form online video availability and usage. No one has offered a shred of real evidence or analysis to counter that.

You are only putting value on the data that fit your agenda, all the while ignoring the counterpoint being posted. You've been shown over and over that fact and yet you continue doing so.

Your agenda is well known around here and it doesn't have anything to do about sharing info or knowledge and more about spreading sales pitch and putting down BR.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18384239

You are only putting value on the data that fit your agenda, all the while ignoring the counterpoint being posted. You've been shown over and over that fact and yet you continue doing so.

I am not ignoring counterpoints. I am responding to them with requests for data. So far no one has been able to show data that counters the assertion that long form video usage and availability is growing.

Quote:
Your agenda is well known around here and it doesn't have anything to do about sharing info or knowledge and more about spreading sales pitch and putting down BR.

To say that I am spreading a sales pitch implies that I have something to sell. What am I selling? Or is this more baseless insinuation.

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/18384469

I am not ignoring counterpoints. I am responding to them with requests for data. So far no one has been able to show data that counters the assertion that long form video usage and availability is growing.

Because when we post them you just ignore them. That is my point.

To say that I am spreading a sales pitch implies that I have something to sell. What am I selling? Or is this more baseless insinuation.

Oh no it isn't baseless. It as been stated many time here by many people. You have way too much entousiasm to be just a fan of that technology. You are pushing too hard, way past the point of fanboyism.

Just look at your signature...

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18384517

Oh no it isn't baseless. It as been stated many time here by many people. You have way too much entousiasm to be just a fan of that technology. You are pushing too hard, way past the point of fanboyism.

Just look at your signature...

You just defined baseless. You are so biased against the message that you cannot hear it without immediately condemning the messenger.

I have clarified many times that I am not involved in the industry, or have any financial stake in the streaming media players (beyond what may be sitting in my 401k mutual funds).

But your accusation is a prime example of the typical response. Without data to support your own claim, you make stuff up and ignore what has already been presented.

And I love my signature! Why wouldn't we want to be able to access our content any time and any where?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts