AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,421 Posts
Tonight I really enjoyed Triple Threat. They had great harmony. I expect them to make it through the next round. Their harmony reminded me a bit of The Buffalo Bills (who played the bickering town counselors in The Music Man (1962)). I could see Triple Threat having their own show.

Ira (puppet), however, won't give Terry Fator (ventriloquist) anything to worry about. Cute goes only so far, and it seemed that "cute" is what got Ira the four votes in this round. I don't expect Ira to make it past the next round.

Chris (hypnotist) was quite good and I would like to see more of him. (MeTV has "Carol Burnett and Friends", which are skits that were in the original The Carol Burnett Show, and last night they had a skit of a couple that went to a masquerade party and were hypnotized, and it was hilarious as each clap or snap of the finger one of them did caused them to reverse roles.)

Piff the Magic Dragon, on the other hand, just wasn't my cup of tea.

Siro-A (white faces) did a great mix media performance and I could imagine them having their own show.

The woman who had the cuddling practice seemed a bit of left field. Other than demos, I don't see how this could be turned into a show. If you need a hug ... the Saturday night church I frequent has about half the congregation that are huggers, and the Sunday morning church where I attend are about a third huggers, and I am sure there are other churches where one can get free hugs during the "meet & greet" times or between services.

I'm a bit surprised when Howie hit the Golden Buzzer for Drew (stuttering comedian). Last year the Golden Buzzer was used twice, but both times it was after the voting had gone against an act that either Howard or Howie believed should go on. (If I recall correctly, both acts struck out at the next round they participated in.) Tonight the Golden Buzzer was used before the voting and I think Drew had a good chance of being voted through without Howie using his one use of the Golden Buzzer for the season.

My top three favorites from tonight are:

1. Triple Harmony (the three who were benched because of their injuries at the same time and discovered they could make music together),
  2. Siro-A (the five mixed media performers that looked like 10 at times on the stage)
  3. Chris (hypnotist), who got germophobic Howie to shake hands with the other judges.

My bottom three from tonight are:

1. The Ugly Baby with the dropping diaper.
  2. Piff the Magic Dragon with the lame jokes and over-used metamorphic card (though I do confess I don't know how that trick is done), and
  3. Rope-walker/knife thrower who couldn't get half his knives to stick in the board behind the damsel. (I would think the falling knives would be dangerous, maybe not as deadly as a straight toss into the stomach, but still could seriously cut into the flesh.)

Overall, I thought tonight's episode was quite entertaining. But then I have always liked variety shows.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Damn it forgot to set my DVR... I guess it's Hulu time?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I guess Howie hit his golden buzzer to spare the stutterer from having to perform more until the live shows when his sob story will get him votes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
A surprising strong opener. The only one I didnt' get is the cuddler and I don't see how the show could use her "talent" if we may call it that.

The two kid dancers were entertaining at first but cute will only go so far.

Big ugly baby is good for some crinching comedic relief but that's it.

I actually like Piff the Magic Dragon's comedy magic. I hope he'll bring stronger magic to the show next time.

I think the strongest two acts that will go far are Triple Threat and Shiro-A.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Like last year, AGT is off to a good start. Frontload the first couple of shows with lots of "passable" talent and go from there.

Loved Piff the Magic Dragon. His deadpan humor and continuance "after" his performance ended was great. One of the best comedians ever on AGT, IMO.

Great performance by Siro-A. Very smooth the entire time. Reminded me of Kenichi Ebina.

I enjoyed the Triple Threat singers. The guy on the crutch may be the weak link.

Drew Lynch, the stuttering comedian, was surprisingly good. But over the course of time the stuttering will get to be irritable.

Cool seeing Howie get hypnotized, but that took way too long when the clock limits everyone else.

Then you have AGT at its worst; The Cuddler. No need to say more.

As always, what happens when they perform next?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I hate they lose a lot of time on the Judges stuff instead of airing the acts.. here they go again, I guess it's the same lousy production team...

Yeah the hypno act, the "disclaimer" the "don't show on TV someone being hypnotized" WTF was that? and waaaay over the 90 second limit..

At least they acknowledged somehow the elephant in the room (Nick being divorced)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hate they lose a lot of time on the Judges stuff instead of airing the acts.. here they go again, I guess it's the same lousy production team...

Yeah the hypno act, the "disclaimer" the "don't show on TV someone being hypnotized" WTF was that? and waaaay over the 90 second limit..

At least they acknowledged somehow the elephant in the room (Nick being divorced)
That's why DVRs were invented! Seriously, I never watch this show live, only well delayed so I can skip through all the annoyances and blabber, especially for acts that don't interest me.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The stutters bit about the GPS had me in tears.
Yeah me too, even cried at everyone's reaction but I don't know of how much material he can milk out of his disability and, like another poster said, the stuttering could get old quick.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
At least he's not faking a disability, like some on previous seasons (I quite remember the "disabled vet" that wasn't)

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Yeah me too, even cried at everyone's reaction but I don't know of how much material he can milk out of his disability and, like another poster said, the stuttering could get old quick.
He reminds of a comic I think his name was Josh, he has cerebal palsy (spelling?) and he won last comic standing. He milked his disability in every stand up act and it killed every time.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
He reminds of a comic I think his name was Josh, he has cerebal palsy (spelling?) and he won last comic standing. He milked his disability in every stand up act and it killed every time.
Josh Blue, he was on Last Comic Standing, I think he won. He's very funny.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts