AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014/0_50#post_24620996

Worst kept secret. A singer will win.
Seasons 7 and 8 were won by non-singers.
Quote:
And never be heard from again.
Seasons 2's and 5's winners have been heard from since then (though season 5's runner-up has made more of an impact than that season's winner).

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014#post_24623817

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014/0_50#post_24620996

Worst kept secret. A singer will win.
Seasons 7 and 8 were won by non-singers.

As was Season 2, the most successful winner so far.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014#post_24624911

He was a singer, but not just a singer.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't forgetting Terry Fator, just allowing that singing is a major part of his act, unlike Olate Dogs or Kenichi Ebina.  Fator's thing is that he can impersonate a known vocalist's sound and style while operating a dummy and keeping his lips still.

You could put it the way Viventis did while I was typing this.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014#post_24625466

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014#post_24624911

He was a singer, but not just a singer.

He wouldn't have gotten past Round 1 with his singing talent alone. 99% of his talent was unrelated to his singing "skills."

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014/0_50#post_24626272

He wouldn't have gotten past Round 1 with his singing talent alone.
No argument there; if he weren't also knocking out a damn good imitation of Etta James and operating the dummy, but just singing as Terry Fator, he might never have been invited to the Las Vegas round.
Quote:
99% of his talent was unrelated to his singing "skills."
I disagree with that figure, though, and with your quotation marks.  If he had done a straight speaking ventriloquist act without the singing and without the impressions, he also probably wouldn't have made it past round 1.

The most prominent ventriloquists of my childhood were, since I postdate Edgar Bergen's heyday, probably Paul Winchell, Señor Wences, and Arthur Worsley, none of whom sang in their acts, and Shari Lewis, who sang in the characters’ voices or in her own.  Fator's combination of both singing impressions and ventriloquism was a new one on me back in 2007.

So, when someone says that every year it's a singer who wins AGT, I wouldn't list Fator as an exception, just as Kevin Skinner's and Michael Grimm's guitar playing doesn't make them exceptions either.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014#post_24626445

So, when someone says that every year it's a singer who wins AGT, I wouldn't list Fator as an exception,

If you truly mean that, I guess that he would be considered a philosopher, too. I'm through with this "discussion."

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014/0_50#post_24627972

If you truly mean that, I guess that he would be considered a philosopher, too.
Maybe he is, and maybe you are too, but whether he is or isn't, his win of AGT Season 2 didn't involve philosophy skills.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014#post_24628592

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014/0_50#post_24627972

If you truly mean that, I guess that he would be considered a philosopher, too.
Maybe he is, and maybe you are too, but whether he is or isn't, his win of AGT Season 2 didn't involve philosophy skills.

Point being, although his ventriloquist act involved some rudimentary singing skills, he was a ventriloquist - NOT a singer.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I stopped watching after Terry Fator won in season 2.

And after the belly dancers Kaya and Sadie (who were 'overflowing with talent'
as Howie Mandel so succinctly put it) got bounced (pun NOT intended) after reaching top 48.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014#post_24629151

Point being, although his ventriloquist act involved some rudimentary singing skills, he was a ventriloquist - NOT a singer.
As my earlier post tried to convey in just a few words, he is not just a ventriloquist, not just a singer, not just a comedian, and not just an impersonator. He is all of those things. That's why he is so successful in Vegas. By the way, he sings a song in his own voice in his Vegas act and he is a pretty good singer.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014/0_40#post_24629674

As my earlier post tried to convey in just a few words, he is not just a ventriloquist, not just a singer, not just a comedian, and not just an impersonator. He is all of those things. That's why he is so successful in Vegas. By the way, he sings a song in his own voice in his Vegas act and he is a pretty good singer.
Agreed. Terry is multi-talented. It's the singers, the one-trick ponies, that I was referring to.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Why not let Terry explain what he does.

Notice he didn't say he was a singer or a comedian, but a ventriloquist. Which is why, first and foremost, he is a ventriloquist who performs comedy and sings through his puppets. Very talented, indeed.

Here is hoping for a better season this year than last.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014/0_50#post_24630274

Agreed. Terry is multi-talented. It's the singers, the one-trick ponies, that I was referring to.
Kevin Skinner and Michael Grimm played guitar as they sang; are you including them as one-trick ponies also?  That's not a challenge, and sorry if it sounds like one; I'm just trying to find out whether you count five or three of the past eight winners as such.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Season 9 premiere was tonight.  So far I've watched the first hour; probably won't get to watch the rest until tomorrow morning, so I'll comment now in order to get this thread bumped and will edit this post after watching the second hour.

First, what does the golden buzzer, or whatever it's called, accomplish?  Won't anyone passed through by only one judge just get cut in Las Vegas (or wherever the intermediate qualifying rounds will be held this season)?

Second, I was relieved to see the judges reject the act (whose name was not given) where one man drum-beat the shaved heads of the others, in contrast to last year, when heaven help us Tummy Talk was sent on to the live shows in New York.

Third, something was a little fishy when the judges treated Dan Naturman, who's been on television several times as a stand-up comedian, as a newcomer and a stranger.  I'm sure that at least Howie Mandel must have heard of him -- and must have heard him -- before.

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier  /t/1527868/americas-got-talent-season-9-2014#post_24766298

First, what does the golden buzzer, or whatever it's called, accomplish?  Won't anyone passed through by only one judge just get cut in Las Vegas (or wherever the intermediate qualifying rounds will be held this season)?

I'm not through the first hour yet, but I plan to finish viewing it tonight.

In the past each judge could call back any act that had been rejected on the first rounds and that would make more sense; after you had seen all the first rounds, you would have a better idea of who was the best deserving act that got cut; but if you have to use the golden buzzer you might let through one act just to see a better act later that got cut and then be unable to do anything about that.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
All I can say is that I was also fooled on the next to last act... I had no idea...

But the show like always ended with the sob sob sob act.

Reactions: Mark12547
1 - 20 of 310 Posts