AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I am starting a theater build in my house. Bought the house in April of this year. We have everything sorted out and I want to start the HT build in the basement. A few things about what I'm trying to accomplish.

Timeline: I want to have this 100% functional by April 2010. I'd like to figure out the layout in the next week or so and purchase the appropriate amount of 2x4's for framing. Then in the upcoming months research what to use for soundproofing, and drywall while I run wiring and work out electrical and other stuff such as insulation other portions of the basement.

Equipment: Not 100% sure yet, just started to think about it. I'm almost positive on one component which is a JVC RS20 projector. The rest will all be new stuff. My living room setup will be staying where it is with all components.

Budget: Tough to say at this point. I want to make sure this is done properly, so I'm giving myself ample time to save and research. A few of my friends and family members have completed renovations or have finished basements so labor won't be an issue, it's mostly just going to be materials.

Here are some pictures I just took. I really don't know the best way to lay this out and figured I'd let you guys give me some suggestions.

I'm looking at using one side of the basement for the theater. I was thinking of possibly breaking the area up to make an area behind the theater as a bar.

Basically my dimensions for the area are as follows:

29'L x 10'7" W x 7'2" H

If I keep the back area as a bar the theater would be 19' L x 10'7" W

The bar would be 10' L x 10' W

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what I'm working with. When I have time tomorrow I'll update the post with a drawing of the space with dimensions.

Looking at the area I want to use for the screen.

2nd picture with a text box where I want the screen.

Left side of the front area. The wall pushes out 20" for the water main and drain. This 20" is not included in the 10'7" Width of the room. I will need to have access to this stuff though incase of plumbing issues. That needs to be worked into the design.

Another shot showing the foundation bumping out.

Back area of basement. The back 10' of this from the electrical box toward the camera could be a possible bar area.

Same area, just a more left view. Showing the steps coming down.

A shot from the back of the basement toward the theater area on the left. The right wall of the theater will be up against the left side of the steps.

These are some shots to just show you guys what I have to work with. As far as materials, I'm not sure what I'm going to use for the ceiling. I'm throwing around the pros and cons of drywall and drop ceiling. I wish they were higher than the 7'2" I measure, but it's what I have to work with.

I don't know what to use as far as soundproofing and drywall materials. I'm looking for alot of guidance with that. I want the room to be very quite since there is HVAC equipment on the other side of the steps.

Any thoughts and info is appreciated.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Adding image of basement layout. Made it in Paint. It's not to scale, but the measurements are correct. Looking for some direction as far as what size would be fine for a theater. Do I put a seperate bar on the other side of the rear theater wall, or use the entire 29' of length? I feel it would be a bit too large if I do that.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would probably flip it around and go more with something like this. JMO

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Could you rework the waste line? Ninety degree angle up, where it exits the wall. Then the cleanout, and continue straight up to a ninety to connect to the straight line. Then hide the works in a column. I'd also box all the waste line in the theater. Plywood box/GG/drywall/GG/drywall. The cleanout would get a cover with double steps and gaskets.

Or the bump out could be used for the av rack.

7'2" ceiling height is very workable. You have no soffits to deal with. Offset seating and low back seats can help with sightlines.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whiskey alpha, thanks for the different layout. I'm looking for different options of where to put the theater in the basement. My only concern is if 12' x 11' is going to be a bit on the small side. I want a large screen and judging by what projector central is telling me, the RS20 will only work with a 92" screen with a 12' throw distance. I was looking to get something like a 102" or 120" mabye. I know the space doesn't need to be large, but I don't want it to be too cramped. Anyone have a theater around this size, and can give me your thoughts?

Tedd, thanks for the info. I can rework the waste line if I have too. I'd really like to avoid doing that as I'd have to hire a plumber since I dont' want to tackle that on my own. I definitly need to have access to the cleanout so either way I'll have to make access.

When you say GG/drywall/GG, what is GG? Sorry if it's a newb question, but I don't know much about home theater construction. Hoping to learn all this stuff so I can build it right. Also, while we are on the subject, what drywall would work best to help soundproof the room? Do you guys recommend doubling up on the drywall, or using some sort of sound proofing insulation and one sheet of drywall?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amill94 /forum/post/17002867

When you say GG/drywall/GG, what is GG? Sorry if it's a newb question, but I don't know much about home theater construction.

Green Glue. Here is the thread with everything you need to know:
green glue thread

1 - 6 of 6 Posts