AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
536 Posts
- It depends if you are using subwoofers with them, like I do. CLSs need subwoofers. I am using right now two Velodynes HGS 18 with the crossover set at 120Hz. The HGS 18s are lightning fast and their crossover is very clean (I could never use the crossover of the now discontinued ULD18s, for example), cleaner than the crossover of the old Muse 18s, best subwoofers of the 90s, but too slow for the CLSs.

- I am using a 60watt Pass Aleph 5 amp to drive my CLSIIZs. Without a sub or two you may want a more powerful amp to drive the CLSs.

GF.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
A friend has the CLS-IIz and runs them with a pair of VTL MB-125 tube monoblocks.

However, I much preferred them when I lent him my Bryston 7B-ST's a spin. Much more dynamic, better resolution, better bass.

- Andy

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I really cannot use a sub. I live in an apartment and booming bass doesnt go over too well. My old Magnepan 2.7s did a wonderful job of fulling the room without shaking the walls. I am hoping to get the same out of the CLS, jst with a little more refinement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to own Martin-Logan Quest speakers for several years and have tried several amps with them. My best success came with high quality solid state amps like the Plinius SA-100, Audio Research 100.2 and the Pass Aleph 0s. Solid state amps that I didn't like with them were Krell KAV-300i, Adcom 5800 and Bryston 4B-ST. All of them were too bright. I have heard Classe amps with the Quest and SL3's and thought they sounded very good. Your amp should work fine depending on your room size. You might have to step up in power for better dynamics in a larger room. Good luck.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Orbillius,

I think that you might want to try one of the sunfire signature stereo amps... lots of head room stable down low and not that expensive...

Miles

I am actually using a Cinema Grand to Drive mine... ( I want to get the Cal MCA 2500...)

good luck

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't have a whole heck of a lot to compare it to... so it is not really fair for me to say, I know that innersound is also supposed to have an amp specifically designed for stats... I think that the CLS's at my place lack in bass... and I am sure that if I had the Cal amp I long for that it would probably help alot, until that day...I will continue to enjoy the sunfire...

Miles

·
Banned
536 Posts
- I would caracterized Adcom 5800s as warm, rather than bright. CLSs are the culprit here: they are thin sounding without a sub, no matter what amp you throw at them, and they have to be crossover at 120Hz to sound their best.

- Velodyne HGS 18s are not boomy at 120Hz. They are boomy at 40 to 70Hz. They have to be used full range to the contrary of most other subs like Sunfire subs, for example, which sound best at 30 or 40Hz.

- Bryston amps sound harsh on CLSs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.