AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received 2x of the dual 4ohm SI-18 subs and need to grab an amp to get them going. I have 2 UXL-18s on order but wanted something in the meantime.

I know the iNuke 6000dsp seems to be recommended very highly here, but I really don't want to do a fan mode to void the warranty and it'll sit front and center of the living room/theater area.

There are two alternatives that I've got that seem reasonable: Crown XTI 4002 with dsp for $700 or a Peavey 7500 without dsp for ~$550. I know the Crown will be quieter and the Peavey will be as loud but leave a lot more headroom.

Should I just stick with an iNuke and try to find a different place for it (possibly running 30ft cables from my Avr to the amp and back to my subs) or void the warranty and have enough $ saved that I could buy a second should the first fail?

Are there any other alternatives? The Crown would be great for the SI-18s, but a little small for the UXLs. I won't be running anywhere near reference, but I do have a large room that open to the rest of the house (all open and about 1700 sqft total).

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
the crown xls2500 has better heat sinking than the berry, so most folks report little or no fan noise.

it doesn't have the full functioning dsp of the berry, so a another control option may be necessary.

just not sure that looks like $550 worth of guts...then again, with technology i'm not sure what $550 worth of guts is supposed to look like anymore. :)

one per uxl should be a good match.

edit: haha, jay and I were typing/posting at the same time with same concept!

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking T the XTI amps since they have DSP built in and hadn't considered the XLS series. I also didn't realize the XTI amps were AB class. With the SPL levels I'll be running at, I don't think amp efficiency is going to be good no matter what class I get.

The CE class amps are old and a used one would still draw the same premium as one of the new XLS series. The Yamahas are again more than the others to get equivalent power output.

I'm not ruling out anything just yet, merely hoping to make the most educated purchase that I can. A little extra cash for a longer life and quieter amp is fine. I can't justify 3x the price of an inuke though just to run quieter.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
2si 18 d4 really only need the inuke3000dsp right? If you get the 6k you'd have room for two more. Fan mod I did didn't require clipping anything. The fan connector is held onto the pins on the board with a drip of hot glue. I scraped it off and the whole connector came up. I then popped the female pins out of the fans connector and slid them on to the pins on the amps board. If it breaks, I put the stock unit back on with my own drop off hot glue...

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
2si 18 d4 really only need the inuke3000dsp right? If you get the 6k you'd have room for two more. Fan mod I did didn't require clipping anything. The fan connector is held onto the pins on the board with a drip of hot glue. I scraped it off and the whole connector came up. I then popped the female pins out of the fans connector and slid them on to the pins on the amps board. If it breaks, I put the stock unit back on with my own drop off hot glue...

Yes, two si d4 drivers are perfect for the inuke 3000dsp, but he has UXL drivers on the way and that amp will really under power them.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yes, two si d4 drivers are perfect for the inuke 3000dsp, but he has UXL drivers on the way and that amp will really under power them.
Yep, just reread that. My bad. So what I have learned from AVS is that you should kill it till its way dead. What does that mean? Its time for a 14000watt clone amp!!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
get yourself a fp14k clone

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The biggest difference between those EPX amps verses the inukedsp models would be the lack of dsp, right?

Power wise it looks like you get a bit more out of that 4000 than you would the inuke3000 for $20 less, but if no DSP I suppose you're not really saving much if you need it.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
The DSP version of the 3/6K add $50 IIRC

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the EPX4000 specs. If it doesn't require a fan mod to be quiet, I'll happily add a standalone minidsp and pay the extra for it.

The LG clone amps are appealing. The 14000 is way more than I need for any sort of setup in my current home. The 2x UXLs will be pushing what my wife will tolerate as it is.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far. I'm hoping to pull the trigger by the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
get yourself a fp14k clone
IT has the loudest fans of them all. Granted there is no real warranty to speak of that would be voiced and a Mini DSP is required adding more of a cost. Also its a bit over kill for those subs, but who doesnt like over kill.

I personally would go with a inuke6kdsp and do the fan mod. I had a bunk inuke that I fan modded. I simply put the stock fans back in and returned it. You can also test out the inuke for a few weeks to make sure its functioning correctly and then do the fan mod for a better piece of mind. I own 4 inuke amps and aside from that bad one I got they all have been great. They do tend to power cycle when clipped which sucks.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I like the EPX4000 specs. If it doesn't require a fan mod to be quiet, I'll happily add a standalone minidsp and pay the extra for it.

The LG clone amps are appealing. The 14000 is way more than I need for any sort of setup in my current home. The 2x UXLs will be pushing what my wife will tolerate as it is.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far. I'm hoping to pull the trigger by the end of the week.
Also call up samash.com , I get $50 off my 6k's when I asked the sales rep. They have great customer support and call me from time to time and ask how my amps are and if I need help with anything else they will hook it up. Plus, I got a free t-shirt which beats out the ugly Behringer hat you get when ordering form Parts express.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Amazon has the same price as well btw,
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Eur...qid=1426696090&sr=8-2&keywords=behringer+4000

but the 4000 wouldn't be enough to power to ULX drivers, you would ideally want two as its less than the Inuke 6k is per channel @ 4ohms. I hear the fan mod is harder on these and you would still need the Mini Dsp. Inuke6k dsp IMO is the best amp by far for the money. Its not the prettiest amp if your staring at it but the fan mod is super easy.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

The epx series does need a fan mod, but it is relatively easy and the end product is powerful and quiet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts