AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an Adcom GFA 555 that I bought used 6 years ago at a store in Rochester, NY ;). It had a part go bad in the input stage that made a popping sound a few minutes after the Amp was turned on. I took the amp to a technician her in Indiana that replaced the part in both input stages with one of higher quality. He said it was very well made. I use it to drive a couple of Boston Acoustics THX 555s. It has worked like a champ in my Home Theater for the last 4 years without incident. Those speakers are real transparent. No hiss from the amp. My Pre is a Sony 9000ES. Let me know if you get the Behringer. Very curious for the price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the A500 to bridge and power my subwoofer... I hooked it up to listen to it power my main speakers in stereo (just to test) and i was quite impessed. For the price it is very good. Definitely not as good as my Adcom GFA-555 though.

cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
hi scbullit...could you go into more details on the sound quality and comparisons between the a500 and your adcom?

thanks...im looking to get one as well sans pre-amp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing that impresses me most about my Adcom is its incredible control of the speakers in all situations with music but also including home theatre action scenes and explosions, etc. There is never any harshness and there is plenty of power to burn.

The A500 is relatively new and I haven't had a great deal of time listening to it in detail, but on first impressions it is quite clean and obviously very powerful. In my opinion it is great value for money. At the moment I am listening to it powering my main speakers but its intended use is to power my subwoofer. (in bridged mode)

cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.