AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of adding a 2 channel amp to my receiver. I am running Cerwin Vega D-9 speakers, just 2 stereo without subs. The CV's sound really good for my the jazzy, bluesy style of music I like but I keep reading that the power should be more to really make them sound good. I have way more volume than I need and it's very clear. If the quality can be better by adding wpc then I'd give it a shot probably. I've been looking at amp choices and I'm considering possibly something like the Crown XLi 800 - 600W. Then looking at the connections on my Onkyo Receiver (TX-NR535) it isn't clear to me that I can even connect an amp. I am including pics of the connections. Could someone steer me in the right direction here before I buy something I can't use please?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to update this a bit. I purchased a power amp at a pawn shop this weekend. It's a Vocopro, 300 wpc, and I hooked it up to the zone 2 preout on the receiver. It was easy enough to get working but it's a very limited way to run sound. I couldn't figure out another way to do it, but I had no control whatsoever at the receiver for volume, or any of the sound enhancement settings on the receiver either, just raw power running straight through the Vocopro and the only control was the gain pots on it for volume. Honestly it was like going from FM radio to AM radio on a poor signal as far as sound quality. I guess I will just have to upgrade my Receiver at some point to try and get more power on the CV speakers. The CV speakers actually sound very good running straight off the receiver at the 80 wpc or whatever the Onkyo TX-NR535 is running 2.0 stereo, but I would like to see what they sound like when matched up close to their rating. Dunno, maybe the Vocopro just isn't a clear sounding amp,,,,, there is a reason usually that this stuff ends up in pawn shops.

·
Premium Member
90,853 Posts
The lower level Onkyo models only have Zone 2 pre-outs with fixed volume control, so volume is controlled on the external amp. You would have to step up to the NR838 to get main zone pre-outs. Also audio to Zone 2 is just a straight signal ... there is no DSP applied. And if the NR535 provides the volume you require, adding an external amp at the same volume level is not going to make any difference.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Just to update this a bit. I purchased a power amp at a pawn shop this weekend. It's a Vocopro, 300 wpc, and I hooked it up to the zone 2 preout on the receiver. It was easy enough to get working but it's a very limited way to run sound. I couldn't figure out another way to do it, but I had no control whatsoever at the receiver for volume, or any of the sound enhancement settings on the receiver either, just raw power running straight through the Vocopro and the only control was the gain pots on it for volume. Honestly it was like going from FM radio to AM radio on a poor signal as far as sound quality. I guess I will just have to upgrade my Receiver at some point to try and get more power on the CV speakers. The CV speakers actually sound very good running straight off the receiver at the 80 wpc or whatever the Onkyo TX-NR535 is running 2.0 stereo, but I would like to see what they sound like when matched up close to their rating. Dunno, maybe the Vocopro just isn't a clear sounding amp,,,,, there is a reason usually that this stuff ends up in pawn shops.
Sell it back to the pawn shop. Whoever told you that added unused power (headroom) will improve the sound of speakers doesn't understand how audio works. You don't need an amp. If you want better sound, you want better speakers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lower level Onkyo models only have Zone 2 pre-outs with fixed volume control, so volume is controlled on the external amp. You would have to step up to the NR838 to get main zone pre-outs. Also audio to Zone 2 is just a straight signal ... there is no DSP applied. And if the NR535 provides the volume you require, adding an external amp at the same volume level is not going to make any difference.
Sell it back to the pawn shop. Whoever told you that added unused power (headroom) will improve the sound of speakers doesn't understand how audio works. You don't need an amp. If you want better sound, you want better speakers.

Thanks fellas. That's what I was trying to find out when I put up the original post. Wish you guys had spoke up sooner,,,,,,,, woulda saved me a trip to the pawn shop,,,,, and now another one back. But I do appreciate the info. Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoever told you that added unused power (headroom) will improve the sound of speakers doesn't understand how audio works. You don't need an amp. If you want better sound, you want better speakers.
Well maybe I don't understand power at all, because I have been thinking about this statement and it just goes against everything I've always heard. The headroom part I agree with, because there is no sound at that level to be heard, therefore more power does not effect the way it sounds, but I can't construe that in any way to believe that more power pushing the parts you DO hear is not affected by more power. This is like saying you only need more power for more volume,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts