AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone -

I am helping a buddy set up a multi-room, single source audio system. So far, I have been helping him over the phone and through IM, so I haven't been there to see it myself yet. Before I go, thought I'd throw this problem out there to you and see if you could give some ideas to troubleshoot when I get there. Keep in mind, the set-up is nothing extravagant and I have done several of these set-ups in the past myself.

From what he is telling me, everything is set-up properly, so I am wondering if the AMP (Receiver) is the problem or speaker selector or something else.

Here we go:

4 pairs of in wall speakers throughout the house (total 8 speakers). Each rated at 8 ohm, 126 W max, 42 Watt RMS.

Each pair is connected to a russound ALTX-2 in wall impedance matching volume control.

OSD 6 zone speaker selector ISS6 - using 4 right now with expectations to expand

Kenwood VR-305 receiver - an older receiver, rated at 8ohm, 100 Watts per channel minimum RMS in stereo mode

Set-up: Each pair is connected to the in wall volume control. The jumper is set at 8X (I told him to move down to 4X as per manual although I don't think this is the problem). Each speaker wire is then connected to the speaker selector (8 total speaker wires). The speaker selector is connected to the Receiver "A" L and R output. The receiver is set to stereo mode.

Problem: The receiver cuts out and turns off when the volume is turned up. Especially when he selects multiple zones on the speaker selector (regardless if the impedance protection is on or off). For example, he had the receiver turned up to 33 db, and had only 2 zones on in the speaker selector, and the volume knob at 1/3 volume - receiver cut off.

My first instinct is an impedance mismatch, but from what I understand from above, I don't see where that can be.

Anything I'm overlooking?

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
Problem is ISS6 speaker selector..

The cheap speaker selector puts very strange inductive load on the AVR, and if the AVR is a lower priced one it will not like the low impedance load and shut down....

You need to upgrade the speaker switcher and use a separate component amplifier to drive the remote Zone speakers..

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/20767447

Problem is ISS6 speaker selector..

The cheap speaker selector puts very strange inductive load on the AVR, and if the AVR is a lower priced one it will not like the low impedance load and shut down....

You need to upgrade the speaker switcher and use a separate component amplifier to drive the remote Zone speakers..

Just my $0.02...

what about upgrading the receiver? I'm bringing a receiver over with me ... one that I have used for a similar set-up in the past. Still not a very expensive model though. I assume the by lower impedance load, you mean 4 ohm?

·
Registered
12,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet /forum/post/20767552

what about upgrading the receiver? I'm bringing a receiver over with me ... one that I have used for a similar set-up in the past. Still not a very expensive model though. I assume the by lower impedance load, you mean 4 ohm?

Maybe..

The speaker selector puts a low impedance, highly inductive load on the receiver's amplifier. To make a significant difference the receiver's amplifier has to be well-built and have high current capability..
Unfortunately most receivers whose SRP is

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Heres your problem:

Here we go:

4 pairs of in wall speakers throughout the house (total 8 speakers). Each rated at 8 ohm, 126 W max, 42 Watt RMS.
Each pair is connected to a russound ALTX-2 in wall impedance matching volume control.

If you have impedance matching volume controls you dont need the speaker selector. The amp is being overloaded before you can even get enough power to the speakers.

Thats 2 X the impedance matching. As long as the volume controls are set right for how many speakers are in the system it should work.

As pointed out above its the speaker selector. Get it out of there...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Do you want to be able to turn on/off the speaker sets from the equipment location? If so, then you'll need a new speaker selector...like a Niles HPS4.

If not, then just get a hub to make connecting the wires easier.

If you do get a piece like the HPS4 you can either 1) not use the built-in protection ~ 4 ohms; 2) Use the protection and disable the matching on the VC's (or set to 1x).

B.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys - I sent him home with another receiver and I told him I thought having both the impedance matching volume control and speaker selector might be the issue. I believe (not sure), the impedance protection on the speaker selector can be shut off (bypass) although not positive about that.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B /forum/post/20771004

Do you want to be able to turn on/off the speaker sets from the equipment location? If so, then you'll need a new speaker selector...like a Niles HPS4.

If not, then just get a hub to make connecting the wires easier.

If you do get a piece like the HPS4 you can either 1) not use the built-in protection ~ 4 ohms; 2) Use the protection and disable the matching on the VC's (or set to 1x).

B.

Can't he set the VC to 1X now and use the current selector with the impedance protection enabled?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet /forum/post/20771351

Can't he set the VC to 1X now and use the current selector with the impedance protection enabled?

Theoretically, yes. Although another poster suggested that the speaker selector was to blame for the issues...

B.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
If you set the VC to 1 it still adds protection. Then you have the selector....too much load on that receiver....I hate Selectors....I like the impedance VC's Its a cleaner install...

As mentioned you can turn off the protection and then you just have a switch, if your selector allows for that, then it just makes connection easy. Also Mentioned get a hub, you really dont need the selector....thats old school
You can use wire nuts.....but thats ugly so hide them if you do lol....

Hell Im getting away from VC in a lot of installs and either using impedance matchign circuts that I build with Hi wattage dummies and then you use the Zone 2 as the master volume. Most people turn the ZONE on and off and play all the rooms at the same time. Yea, if you want 1 room off it cant be done but when I need that then they get the local VC...Or like this big multi zone monster Im using the DLA 6 and hes getting digital volume via his MX880.

Theres other way as well to wire all the speakers without any volume controls or switch boxes if you have the right amout of speakers, then they naturally load the amp right, of course you cant turn rooms onor off though....But thats another story and off topic for the OP's problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.