AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I happened upon a great deal over the weekend on a dealer demo Rotel Amp, 2x200WPC. It was too hard to pass up as I was looking. Surprisingly, after recalibrating, it really doesnt mess up the front sound stage much at all having the center channel on receiver amps. The one effect it did have for home theater, was make everything sound better. I think by freeing up the amps for front L/R, the receiver has more juice for the entire system, allowing it to open up quite a bit. But I was always happy with HT performance. I really wanted an amp for 2ch music. The difference is incredible, it is like a whole new system.. My N804s sound better than I have ever heard them, they actually produce plenty of bass now, no need for a sub at all for music. The clarity is much improved, and the sound stage is even better. I cannot believe I went so long without a good amp for those. Rotel may not be top of the line, but it sure made a huge improvement in my system. I listen to everything in direct mode, and I am now in audio bliss :)

Just thought I would share for those of you who, like me, were a little curious as to whether or not the money spent on an amp would make enough difference to make it worth while. It is like night and day. Worth it at twice the price.

Iostream

·
Registered
333 Posts
good job, This is usually a very good way to "step up" to seperates, That is what many people do, get the 2 or 3 channel first and later upgrade the rest

congrates

·
Registered
733 Posts
It's truly amazing the difference adequate amplification makes with Nautilus 804s. When I went from an 80wpc receiver to a Bryston 4B ST (250wpc ), my N804s sounded like different speakers. People that say the're bass shy need to hear them with a decent amp...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is the plan Rod, eventually I will add the 1095 to get same amplification across the whole system, and when a few more features come out, to where I feel it is really time to upgrade the receiver, I will just buy a pre/pro.

lolittle, you are right, the N804s do not lack in bass at all, at least for a speaker their size. Just in many installations, they lack in amplification. The bass extension that the Rotel added alone, was worth the price of admission.

Ios

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.