AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went through several threads in this, but could mainly find reckommendations for amps which have inbuilt recievers, something I don't want.

What Amplifier (not reciever at all) would be reckommended for this 7.1

Is it better to buy one 7 channel amplifier or or two separate ones?

If possible the price shouldn't exceed 1500US$

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
448 Posts
For that price you would need a Parasound amp, the Lexicon's and Bryston's are way over that price. Parasound makes several model in that price range that would work.

·
Registered
799 Posts
For the price range you quoted you'll get lots more mileage if willing to go used. Anything in the 100W/ch upward should do. Better yet if you can find a 3 channel higher power (~150W/ch) amp for the fronts & a 4 channel (~100W/ch) one for the surrounds/rears. Happy hunting. :)

PF

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys.

Just some questions. How will the sound quality be affected by time, does a used amp get a lot worse quickly?

Is there any certain model to reckommend apart from spec.s of 150W/channel for the fronts and 100W/channel for the rears?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well cared for SS amps should last a decade or two and age alone should have no bearing on sound quality. Brands such as Marantz, Parasound, Rotel, Sherbourne, B&K, Adcom, etc. are the ones you should start checking out Audiogon on. You may want to look up on individual manufacturer websites for model #, specs, MSRP, etc. before you start.

PF

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to get some feedback on Outlaw 750, an amp that handles up to 165W x 5, found it for around 1000$. Would it be be that hard to find another 2 channel amp for the fronts below 5000$?

·
Registered
799 Posts
For the power ratings, the Outlaw amp sounds like a steal esp if it's new with warranty.

A while back I was able to get in on Ubid's Citation selling frenzy and got myself two 7.1's (4x150 each with 5 year warranty) for about $1,500 total. Besides Audiogon, Ubid & Ebay are other sites you shoud keep an eye on. Just be careful with Ubid's warranty terms & expensive S&H.

PF

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just got the EAD PM 1000 used off Audiogon for 1500.00(exactly) to my door. Its only 5 channels(but very nice 5 channels of sound), so will will need another small 2 channel amp.

Regards.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another question.

I have been reckommended that the center should be powered to a slightly greater extent than the rest of the speakers. Is this true?

In that case having a 2 and a 5 channel AMP, how would I connect the DIVAS?

Driving the fronts with the 2 amp and the rest with the 5, the rear or rear-sides with the 2 and the rest with 5 or should I go balls and get a single amp for the center?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.