AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to plan out my upgrades. I currently have a Theta Casablanca which I expect to upgrade to get some of the new features.

I am looking at the Revel F30, Linn Espec, and open to other comparably priced systems. I will be replacing the front 3 speakers as a set since I want the center to match the fronts.

The amps I currently have are a B&K ST1400 and a Sunfire Cinema Grand. I just noticed they both have balanced inputs for a total of 4 chanels.

My questions are:

1) Are these full differential amps (the B&K inputs are marked differential, on the Sunfire they are just marked balanced).

2) Are these amps comparable to the speakers above? Will the amps be a sonic weak link?

The amps were part of a whole system installed by the only installer supported by the builder so while I think they are reasonable I did not personally research them at the time. Now that I am starting to get more into the whole system and reading this forum I am starting to question how good they are.

·
Registered
454 Posts
mike,

Differential and balanced are the same. Just different terms for the same thing. One thing to keep in mind is that some manufacturers use XLR connectors on their equipment but they do not necessary have differential/balanced circuits in it so in such cases, there is no sonic advantage of using this type of input.

However, XLR connectors have better mechanical fit than RCA.

I am not familiar with the B&K amp but I think the Sunfire will work fine with the Revel F30.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.