AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally decided 2 get 2 IXL-18 Mk2 from Mach 5 and put them in two 5 cubic feet sealed boxes now I need an amp. I am am looking at a Behringer iNUKE NU3000DSP or the NU6000DSP. What do you think my best bet is?

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Are those subs going to be ran at 4 ohms? Are the duel voice coil? If you plan to run them at 4 ohms then I would definitely suggest the iNuke6000dsp. That would be a future proof amp and with the built in DSP you can boost the low end and EQ to suit your taste! Of course, yes, the iNuke3000dsp would also work perfectly fine, and although I am not familiar with the power handling of the IXL-18 mk2, so how much wattage it would take to push it to Xmax, I have no idea. Have you done any models in winISD?

I might also suggest, just for the fun of it, that you go with two ported enclosures over two sealed enclosures! In a ported box, you are going to get a good bit more output around the tuning frequency. That, plus room gain will likely give you just as much extension as the sealed sub, (assuming your room isn't 10,000cuft, but, if it was, then sealed would be a poor choice anyway), and a crap load more at the tuning frequency. Speaking of which, I would do some modeling in something like an 8cuft to 12cuft enclosure tuned to 17hz-18hz or possibly even 16hz. If you went with a larger ported box tuned to around 16hz to 18hz, that would more than likely give you 5db to 10db more output at that frequency, and then you would be getting room gain below that which should be pretty close to the extension of the sealed boxes, but will have much more impact!

All of the above is just theory at the moment as I have not personally modeled the IXL-18 mk2. I am also unaware of the size of your room, as that can make differences as well. What ever you end up going with should be nice as those are great drivers.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1522715/amp-for-2-ixl-18-mk2-sealed#post_24488744

Are those subs going to be ran at 4 ohms? Are the duel voice coil? If you plan to run them at 4 ohms then I would definitely suggest the iNuke6000dsp. That would be a future proof amp and with the built in DSP you can boost the low end and EQ to suit your taste! Of course, yes, the iNuke3000dsp would also work perfectly fine, and although I am not familiar with the power handling of the IXL-18 mk2, so how much wattage it would take to push it to Xmax, I have no idea. Have you done any models in winISD?

I might also suggest, just for the fun of it, that you go with two ported enclosures over two sealed enclosures! In a ported box, you are going to get a good bit more output around the tuning frequency. That, plus room gain will likely give you just as much extension as the sealed sub, (assuming your room isn't 10,000cuft, but, if it was, then sealed would be a poor choice anyway), and a crap load more at the tuning frequency. Speaking of which, I would do some modeling in something like an 8cuft to 12cuft enclosure tuned to 17hz-18hz or possibly even 16hz. If you went with a larger ported box tuned to around 16hz to 18hz, that would more than likely give you 5db to 10db more output at that frequency, and then you would be getting room gain below that which should be pretty close to the extension of the sealed boxes, but will have much more impact!

All of the above is just theory at the moment as I have not personally modeled the IXL-18 mk2. I am also unaware of the size of your room, as that can make differences as well. What ever you end up going with should be nice as those are great drivers.

I plan on running them at 4 ohms. I thought about ported but the box they recommend is 500 liters that is over 17 cubic feet. That's way to big. I plan on putting them behind the projection screen and only have 18 inches of depth.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Hmm...are you basing that 17cuft number for the ported enclosure based on modeling the driver in a program such as winISD, or, is that a number that someone at Mach5 company told you? How do up know what the tune is with a 17cuft enclosure, and what about adjusting the tune to see how it would affect the size of the enclosure?

What I am getting at is that there is no perfect size for a vented enclosure that you absolutely have to stick with. I am sure that you could do a ported enclosure much smaller than the 17cuft size that someone suggested, and end up with 8db to 10db of additional SPL around the tuning frequency compared to a sealed enclosure.

My absolute last suggestion that I hope you take is to at least model the IXL-18 in winISD and compare the sealed versus ported possibilities. I could be wrong in that the IXL doesn't like a vented box, but, I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I would definitely opt the 6000DSP.

Don't get me wrong the 3000 is a great amp, but for a few more bucks you can get more power and more headroom.

Remember you are only getting about 70% of the rated power for bass duty...and if you ever want to expand in the future you may need more power.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Here is the IXL in 6cf sealed versus 10cf vented 1000w. If I reduce the vented down to 6cf it resembles the sealed except 1-4 dB advantage depending on the freq up to 60ish.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In winisd the ports for a 6 cube box are huge. I'm looking at around 54 inch in length slot port for a 22hz tune. I have to remove the port volume and the driver and bracing volume so the box ends up being over 7.5 cubic feet. Am thinking right?

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1!  /t/1522715/amp-for-2-ixl-18-mk2-sealed#post_24501645

In winisd the ports for a 6 cube box are huge. I'm looking at around 54 inch in length slot port for a 22hz tune. I have to remove the port volume and the driver and bracing volume so the box ends up being over 7.5 cubic feet. Am thinking right?

Try a two slot vents 2 X 9 at 22hz tune 1000w, hp at 17-18hz., you should come in next to 30” long. You’re correct that you do have to build larger accounting for displacement.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1522715/amp-for-2-ixl-18-mk2-sealed#post_24501779

Try a two slot vents 2 X 9 at 22hz tune 1000w, hp at 17-18hz., you should come in next to 30” long. You’re correct that you do have to build larger accounting for displacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1522715/amp-for-2-ixl-18-mk2-sealed#post_24501779

Thanx for the help. I was not setting the hipass in winisd.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
INUKE 6000DPS ordered!!! Now I got a box size of 6.38 cubic feet after port and sub displacement. Is .38 cubic feet enough for bracing? Or should I leave more?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts