AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the amp on my Paradigm PW-2100 is broke and i was looking at running an external amp to power the sub.

when i look on the paradigm site for the power requirements it states this:

Amplifier: High-Current,

Discrete Output 1500 watts Dynamic Peak /

500 watts RMS

i was looking at these amps but would like some suggestions. the power handling seems like it couldn't be correct as stated by paradigm. am i going over board with the selections below? i would like to stay under 200 if possible. i would even consider a plate amp but the ones that looked like they could power the sub were to much money.

Marathon Pro DJ-3000 Professional Power Amplifier

2 x 350 Watts @ 8 Ohms 2 x 700 Watts @ 4 Ohms / Freq. Response: 20Hz - 20khz / General Harmonic Distortion: 0.1% / 2-Speed Fan

Gemini XGA-3000 Professional Power Ampflier

couldn't find detailed output info... at least that made sense to me.

thank you in advance for any advice. i did read the sticky post about how to select an amp but when your shopping online and dont know much it gets pretty confusing...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
There's not much info on the Paradigm amp given. Maybe it does 500 watts at 10% THD. Hopefully not with a quality company like Paradigm.

You likely want an amp that can be bridged, which should double the power. You may want to see if you can find out the impedance of your sub, so you know whether you need to power 8 ohms or 4 ohms.

I have heard of neither of those amps you show. Maybe look at a Berhinger amp, which are somewhat affordable - they are sort of the low end of the trusted pro amp companies.

At some point, it may just make sense to just go get a Hsu sub, which are well regarded and some of the most affordable products on the market.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was able to pick up a crown ce-1000 today for 140!!

pretty excited and i hope it works well. i wont be able to set it up until tomorrow. any suggestions?

CE 1000 stats:

2 ohm Stereo (per channel) 560W

4 ohm Stereo (per channel) 450W

8 ohm Stereo (per channel) 275W

4 ohm Bridge-Mono 1,100W

8 ohm Bridge-Mono 900W

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
You could have just replaced the plate amp with a new BASH amp.

I replace bad amps on subwoofers all the time if they are worthit to fix. If not the subs can be good for what your going to do.

I assume your leaving the blown amp in place other wise you need to make a new back for the sub.......Teh CE1000 is a pretty nice amp its the only one in the CE line that doesnt run the fan all the time. Only when you start pushing it or when it starts heating up will the fan kick on. For Home Thater use it problably wont run much at all.

If you bought it on ebay you should open it up and blow it out as those amps pulled from heavy use will have so much dust in them it looks like carpeting!

You will see switches on the rear for sensitivity. Set it to .775 volts as your receiver is not going to put out 1 volt of signal for the sub pre out. That will give you the right sensitivity for the CE1000 to run effeciently and your sub will pound!

ALSO the woofers in most powered subs is usually a 4 ohm woofer....So becarefull as the CE 1000 bridged at 4Ohm is powerfull, I dont think is recomend bridging that amp in 4 Ohms though. NOT that youll blow anything up unless your planning to play at concert volumes!

Oh and congratulations on the Crown the other two amps you looked at are garbage. The CE was crowns last "real" amp although the XLS line is in line for another chance by me. I was really happy with what the last one did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.