AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounddelux /forum/post/16982684

I have a Denon 2808 and Polk Rti A5's. Would you recommend an external amp to run these, and if you do, what amp ? Rotel ?

Polk Audio RTi A5

Frequency Response 40-26k Hz

Sensitivity 90 dB

I have a thread here , that goes into the reasons why you might or might not want an amp.

Short answer is you probably don't need one with those speakers.

If you decide that you have to have one, I'd give Emotiva a look (they advertise at the top of the page). They can't be beat in consumer amps in bang for your buck. Their only drawback is that they do tend to be much heavier and larger than the Class D amps that rotel sells these days.

But I am not one of those people who believes that amps have magical powers to make things sound more wonderful just because it's a separate amp.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounddelux /forum/post/16988422

Thank you, that tread is very helpful. Would you suggest upgrading to the A9's ? or maybe B&W 700 or 800 series speakers first?

Well the B&W 800s are very highly regarded speakers. I'm not as familiar with the 700 series, but I'd be surprised if they sucked. They are a HELL of a lot more expensive than the polks though.

I've got a set of Polk LSis (15/C/Fx) that I've been happy with, but they are speakers that do definitely benefit from an external amp.

You'd probably be better off asking this question in the speakers forum, though. My knowledge of options in this area is very limited.

I'd think over carefully what exactly is it that you want from the speakers and if possible being able to test them out is very helpful. In general, I do strongly recommend spending far more on your speakers than on the other hardware. $2k on speakers and $500 on electronics will give you vastly better sound than a 50/50 split.

Except for your ears, speakers are vastly more important than anything else in your system for your SQ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts