AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Later this week my new triton 7s will be coming. Im not one to jump the gun but ib think I want to get a new amp to power them . Currently I am using a emotiva umc200 preamp and a emotiva upa 500 5 channel amplifier 80wpc x 5. I use my system mostly for home theater and video games but do occasionally listen to music. I have roughly 700 to 800 dollars to spend. I was looking into the emotiva xpa2. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Your current amp is fine, theyre not a hard speaker to drive. The 7s are very effecient!:cool:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You think so, I heard them hooked up to a parasound a23 and they sounded awesome I hope to get a similar result
Yes, one reviewer of the 7s used a 65w amp. (I forget the magazine name) He remarked how blown away he was by the high and low freq. response down to 29 hz.!:cool:

You can get a higher powered amp, but I think youll be surprised how effecient theyll be with your current amp...

Reactions: philmike21

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think your talking about the Peachtree hybrid amp
nope, actually it was a 35 wpc vista i35 tube amp, lol... the other amp used was a 150 wpc simaudio moon i7.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looked them up and they ate like $6000 amplifiers. I can get a peachtree 65wpc for 500 I don't known if that's considered an upgrade or not but it has good reviews

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
I owned an Emotiva UPA-500 for a while. I never found it to be lacking in powering a pair of 4ohm speakers that were rated to 500w of power. Give it a try - if it isn't enough then get another amp to help push them. Your new speakers are 89db efficient. Most receivers would have no problem driving them.

Reactions: toddman36

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Understood I will give it a try I'm kinda bummed out because I got a b&k 125.2 amp for real cheap over the weekend but every time I turn it off I got a loud pop which sounds really bad and harmful to the speakers

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Understood I will give it a try I'm kinda bummed out because I got a b&k 125.2 amp for real cheap over the weekend but every time I turn it off I got a loud pop which sounds really bad and harmful to the speakers
Id be trying to get my money back unless it was a yardsale find!:eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use Parasound Halo A51 / A21 Amps in my setup, the A23 is very similar just 125w which is more than enough to drive the T7s and you can easily get new for under $800.00

·
Registered
117 Posts
This forum needs to stop recommending emotiva amps left , right, and center . It's a great amp for certain scenarios for sure . If someone already owns an emotiva xpa, then sure its good enough . If someone is taking the time and money to buy a new amp to match them specifically with Goldenear speakers , then it is NOT the optimal combo and best advice -- they are both a tad bit harsh on the high end. Amps such as parasound, peachtree, etc are the ones regularly being recommended by Sandy (goldenear founder).

If you are trying to fit the budget , then as others recommended , buy one of these amps used or lower watt model, such as a used parsound a23.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts