AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Speakercraft BassX-W10 in-wall powered subwoofer and I'd like to know if I need an amp to run it? I'm a HT novice, and my previous 10" Klipsch sub was powered directly from my Denon AVR 2106 receiver, so that's the extent of my subwoofer experience.

I'm not allowed to post the link for what I own, but if you Google "bassx w10" it's the 4th result down on a website titled kinozuhause. Obviously Speakercraft advises their amp, but since I've never owned an amp I really don't know what to look for or what matters, OR if I can just run this off a good receiver..

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yes, it does seem you will need an amp for that sub and no, I would not run it off the receiver.

Don't bother with the speakercraft amp, even if you can find it - you just need something that can put out a clean 200-300 wpc and you should be fine.

I would check ebay or audiogon for a vintage carver or an audiosource amp 3 or amp 300 to drive that sub on the cheap. Also, any of the definitive or velodyne sub amps would work if you can find one inexpensively.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Dave,

Help me understand how amps work.... because at this point I need an amp to run this sub and would I also be able to use the amp to run another pair of speakers that would be adjacent (not included in) my surround setup?

How many watts do I need? Would something like this suffice? NEW Phoenix Gold AudioSource AMP-100 Amplifier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.