AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any amp recommendations for PSB Imagine T in the $1-2K range? Noticed that Kalman Rubinson tested them with Bryston 9B - way out of my price range.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes /forum/post/18272608

Any amp recommendations for PSB Imagine T in the $1-2K range? Noticed that Kalman Rubinson tested them with Bryston 9B - way out of my price range.

Thanks!

Kal tests everything with that amp

Go with the emotiva 200 x 2 amp. Anything costing more would be overkill.

OOPS, no 200w x 2 any more, but, your speakers run at 4 ohms. They have a 2 x 185 at 4 ohms. I think it is $300.00? That would work for you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/18275522

Kal tests everything with that amp

Go with the emotiva 200 x 2 amp. Anything costing more would be overkill.

OOPS, no 200w x 2 any more, but, your speakers run at 4 ohms. They have a 2 x 185 at 4 ohms. I think it is $300.00? That would work for you

Well, I would also need the USP-1, together that's $700. With shipping to where I live + import taxes the total bill would be about $1300. For $1300 I would think I can find a better deal on an integrated amp locally. Any more ideas besides Emotiva?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes /forum/post/18285601

Well, I would also need the USP-1, together that's $700. With shipping to where I live + import taxes the total bill would be about $1300. For $1300 I would think I can find a better deal on an integrated amp locally. Any more ideas besides Emotiva?

You asked for an amp...not a integrated amp
Do you know the difference?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes /forum/post/18285601

Ugh... The assumption is that you are C.O.N.U.S when you don't explicitly state where product would have to be shipped to.

I do have one idea: Tell us where you live.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - sorry for not being explicit enough. Integrated amp recommendation please, for one that retails in the $1-2K range in the US, or 700-1500 Euro, or 600-1400 GBP. I live in Israel, and shipping from Emotiva (about $200-300) plus local import taxes (about 35%), plus taking into account no local support don't make it a very attractive option.

BTW, the new Leema Pulse III with integrated DAC looks interesting! At the high end of this price range. I wonder how much of a sonic match it is for the Imagines....

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes /forum/post/18290305

OK - sorry for not being explicit enough. Integrated amp recommendation please, for one that retails in the $1-2K range in the US, or 700-1500 Euro, or 600-1400 GBP. I live in Israel, and shipping from Emotiva (about $200-300) plus local import taxes (about 35%), plus taking into account no local support don't make it a very attractive option.

BTW, the new Leema Pulse III with integrated DAC looks interesting! At the high end of this price range. I wonder how much of a sonic match it is for the Imagines....

Many thanks!

I know this will rub some the wrong way:

I own an:

Adcom GFA-5503

Parasound HCA 1000A

Behringer A500

I have access to a NAD C272 and have had extensive hands on with Emotiva XPA-3

Bottom line is that in your price range the differences are going to be minor. I would erase this budget from your mind*.

*Unless your price is what it's going to take to get almost any decent amp in.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Also, throw away this 'Sonic Match' and 'Synergy' stuff while you are at it.

Amps are multi-frequency power supplies and the PSB's aren't anything esoteric in their power requirements or the load that they will present to the amplifier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/18291141

Also, throw away this 'Sonic Match' and 'Synergy' stuff while you are at it.

Amps are multi-frequency power supplies and the PSB's aren't anything esoteric in their power requirements or the load that they will present to the amplifier.

Well, with these speakers I've tried an old Denon 60W integrated (gets unpleasant at moderate levels), Abrahamsen (very nice amp, a bit underpowered for the Imagines, slightly too warm for me, and requires balanced inputs to sound its best), and a Unico Primo (worse than the Abrahamsen IMHO, though it probably costs 2x). So the theory that the amp doesn't matter goes out the window. These speakers are not the easiest load in the world - 4 ohm nominal and 88db... They need a high current amp to drive them well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or to put in other words my last post: the Imagines are great speakers but turn out to be somewhat finicky with amp matching. I would really like to hear responses from people who have experience with them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes /forum/post/18291710

Or to put in other words my last post: the Imagines are great speakers but turn out to be somewhat finicky with amp matching. I would really like to hear responses from people who have experience with them.

Thanks!

Funny, my buddy is a Denon/NAD/PSB authorized dealer. I'll have to let him know 'finicky' they are.

Look it sounds like you know enough. Good luck

I have had hands on anything PSB has produced since 96'.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes /forum/post/18291564

Well, with these speakers I've tried an old Denon 60W integrated (gets unpleasant at moderate levels), Abrahamsen (very nice amp, a bit underpowered for the Imagines, slightly too warm for me, and requires balanced inputs to sound its best), and a Unico Primo (worse than the Abrahamsen IMHO, though it probably costs 2x). So the theory that the amp doesn't matter goes out the window. These speakers are not the easiest load in the world - 4 ohm nominal and 88db... They need a high current amp to drive them well.

So now we are talking tube or valve or hybrids. Look you came on here asking for Amp advice. You have been given it.

Get a good, clean, solid state amp with lots of current. If you want to go with some esoteric amps then that is fine too.

My Parasound, Adcom, Behringer A500 will drive the Imagines just fine. They all are 4 ohm stable. What are you looking for? Amp matching is finding an amp that is rated to drive your speakers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/18295376

Funny, my buddy is a Denon/NAD/PSB authorized dealer. I'll have to let him know 'finicky' they are.

Look it sounds like you know enough. Good luck

I have had hands on anything PSB has produced since 96'.

I have seen them demoed with the NAD C375. It's not a bad combo, though on the warmish side and there are amps that get better detail than the NAD.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
My PSB's work wonderfully well with either the Onkyo A-9755 or the Cary Concept ICE based integrated. Both of course are class d amps and are within your budget. The PSB's also sound good with the Pioneer A-A9-J integrated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/18328136

My PSB's work wonderfully well with either the Onkyo A-9755 or the Cary Concept ICE based integrated. Both of course are class d amps and are within your budget. The PSB's also sound good with the Pioneer A-A9-J integrated.

How would you compare the Onkyo and Cary driving the PSBs?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes /forum/post/18339604

How would you compare the Onkyo and Cary driving the PSBs?

Liked the Onkyo better as they're more revealing on the top end. Actually it's the most realistic sounding for Dave Koz... The ICE module in the Cary really needs to be mated with a revealing tweeter such as ribbon arrays to sound balanced top to bottom.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you enjoy music and value mid-range quality/detail, do not buy Emotiva. I've tried both XPA and UPA; the only thing I would use them for is HT, nice low and high extension but the mids felt lifeless/dull to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts