AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My living room is 17X22 and I have decided to get a pair of RTi12's, a CSi5 and a SVS PC12-NSD. I am upgrading from an Onkyo HTIB so this will be a substantial upgrade. The specs for the receiver that came with the system can be found here.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=s

I doubt that this receiver, even at 130w per channel, is going to be able to push these babies so I guess I will be looking at an amp. Problem is, I know little about amps, and I pretty much tapped out my budget with this system so I need an amp that is good, cheap, but not a piece of crap. Any suggestions? Can I even hook an amp up to this receiver (sorry for the dumb questions)? I also have one other question. With this sub, should I run these speakers on small even though they are huge? If the answer is yes, still run them small, would my Onkyo receiver be able to get the job done since the low frequencies will be handled by the sub. I am curious what others do who have rather large fronts with a good sub. Run them large with an amp and use the double bass setting for twice the bass or is it generally better to let the sub do the thumpin? Thanks a bunch guys.

I know someone will probably suggest some RTi8's with that sub but the deal I am getting on the RTi12's is better than what I would spend on two RTi8's.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Your link is broken. However, if using the AVR from a HTIB, the chances of it having preamp outputs is next to none.

I would sell off your complete Onkyo HTIB and put that money towards a more powerful AVR. The Onkyo TX-SR876 has a very powerful amplifier section and is available B-Stock for 829 (1800 MSRP) Dollars at Accessories4less.

The 876 outputs well over 100 WPC All Channels Driven and also has Audyssey MultEQ XT and Reon Video Processing which is excellent. Truly an fantastic all around AVR.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/18261757

Hello,

Your link is broken. However, if using the AVR from a HTIB, the chances of it having preamp outputs is next to none.

I would sell off your complete Onkyo HTIB and put that money towards a more powerful AVR. The Onkyo TX-SR876 has a very powerful amplifier section and is available B-Stock for 829 (1800 MSRP) Dollars at Accessories4less.

The 876 outputs well over 100 WPC All Channels Driven and also has Audyssey MultEQ XT and Reon Video Processing which is excellent. Truly an fantastic all around AVR.

Cheers,

AD

Sorry about that, the link is now updated and working correctly.

·
Registered
689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent29 /forum/post/18261584

I doubt that this receiver, even at 130w per channel, is going to be able to push these babies so I guess I will be looking at an amp.

I assume you will try the receiver with the new speakers and see how it does. Depending on how loud you like things, it could be ok. The RTi12s are pretty efficient speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts