AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this, and if it isn't let me know and I'll post elsewhere.

Anyway, I need an amp to drive 3 sets of bass shakers, not the pros. I would like to be able to hide the amp under my couch/loveseat. However, I have never used an amp before. I am afraid of it over heating. I do not want to be watching a movie and suddenly burst into flames.

I am also unsure how to hook them up. I was looking at the amps at parts express, the plate sub-woofer amps (250w & 120w).

Any suggestions on an amp (that would fit under a couch safely) would be great. Also, since I have never used an amp before, let alone really seen one up close, explicit instructions on connections or links to sites that do that would also be great. (I'm just getting away from the Best Buy consumer friendly way of HT and am trying to get into a more do it yourself approach.)

thanks

·
Registered
763 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Spanc.

I have two Aura Bass Shakers that I pulled out of Aura Interactor vests that I purchased on e-bay. I use the small amp that is supplied with the vest which may only be 25 watts. I split the LFE on my receiver so that one line goes to my sub and the other goes to the amp for the shakers. This tiny amp gives all the shake that I need on my couch and hides nicely right behind it as well.

You may also want to look at this thread as it may provide some useful insite. I think that I may have some wiring links at home (I'm at work now) so I may post again with some additional links.

Enjoy your shakers, they are a great addition to your experience.

-T.Wells

·
Registered
766 Posts
What do you mean by sets? Do you mean 3 pairs? Will they all go in one couch/loveseat? I will assume you mean 3 pairs for this discussion.

Anyway, here is my brain dump on shakers. I have 10 of the Aura's all powered by 1 subwoofer plate amp. Mine are set up as follows...

As T. Wells said, I too split the LFE out on my Receiver and send 1 output to the subwoofer and the other I send to a coax run which goes under my floor (via the basement) to the amp beside the couch. The coax is quad sheild RG-6 and is terminated in the regular fashion for coax cable (crimped on F-connectors, I think it is called) and then I use the the F-connector to RCA adaptors that you can buy at Radio shack or Home Depot to turn the coax into a long subwoofer/RCA cable. before I plug the coax into the amp, I have a 50 hz Low pass filter installed to remove some of the higher frequencies being sent to the shaker. I felt this filter improved the feel of the shakers over just using the crossover setting on the plate amp. I really don't know why this is the case though.

I used this amp , but I am sure you can get an equivalent one from Parts Express. I built a small enclosure for the amp out of plywood and I keep it beside the couch. Here is a photo.

http://kimhearst.home.comcast.net/ShakerAmp.jpg

the other side of the amp (which I don't show) I installed the speakers terminals that are meant to be installed in a wall. I think there were a brand that I bought at Home Depot. So, with very little skill (I basically just used a circular saw and a drill), you can build an enclosure around the amp that will fit under a couch. The amp gets warm, but never so hot that I would worry about starting a fire with it. Your results may vary though, so I would make sure that the amp is not touching any fabric in the couch and I would frequently check to see how hot it gets before I would completely trust it. I assume that by being under the couch, it will get hotter due to lack of air flow, so check it. I am sure it is obvious, but the heat fins should go up and therefore the amp plate should not go face down into the carpet. :)

With 3 pairs (or 6 shakers), I would wire two parallel series of three shakers. Each shaker is 4 ohm, so a series of 3 shakers would be a resistance of 12ohm. Two of these series in parallel would then give a 6 ohm load. So, find out what the amp will do with 6ohms before you purchase.

If that is not clear here is a diagram.
http://kimhearst.home.comcast.net/ShakerSetup.jpg

I could go on, but I am getting tired. If you have any more question, feel free to ask. There are lots of people who can help.

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T. Wells, thank you for the link, it was very helpful.

nobail - more than I was expecting from anyone, thanks.

I think I've got it worked out. I have an amp in mind I'm going to order and have a go at this, wish me luck.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hal,

That was some great information and I don't mean to high jack spanc's thread but I am curious about something you wrote and he seems to be taken care of. Anyway, I've heard about others using an in-line filter and I currently don't use one. I am using the crossover type of control on the Aura amplifier but the crossover has peaked my interest. Could I use one in my setup and where to purchase such thing? I have 14g. speaker wire taking the LFE out to my Aura amplifier with RCA style connectors on each end.

Thanks,

T.Wells

I check PartsExpress and is this what I am looking for?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Spanc,

Here is the link that I used to connect my shakers to my Aura amp. Keohi's site has some good information so you can check it out there but Hal has you well taken care of at this point.

ENJOY!

T.Wells

·
Registered
766 Posts
T. Wells - you don't want to use the product you linked. What you linked was a "high pass" filter. This filter lets High Frequencies greater than 50hz pass through and blocks out the lower frequencies. This is the opposite of what you want to do with shakers. What you want is a "low pass" filter that will block out the high freqs about 50hz and let the base through.

This device will really only be helpful if you feet that the base shakers are operating at too high a frequency. For instance, lets say music is playing in the movie and the shakers start to vibrate or someone with a low voice is talking and your butt gets tickled. The filter will somewhat limit that effect and keep the shakers working for explosions and other stuff that you want.

Here is a link to a low pass filter.

You can use these filters, along with the x-over setting on the amp to tweak the shakers to how you like them. I am not familar with the Aura's amp so your results may vary. :)

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
763 Posts
Okay, thanks Hal!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Spanc,

you could also consider using an old receiver to power your shakers if you have one you can spare...

I had an old sony prologic unit that functions well for me as a shaker amp. Plus, it gives me remote control on/off and volume control to tone it down or boost it up.

Good Luck,

David

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ooooh... I was using the JPIII dinofight to calibrate my shakers - Now I think I'll hunt down my Barry White collection...

You know - I've got my LFE xover set at 80hz on my Denon 1803 - I think I'm gonna tweak it down at the plate amp, and see how that works. I just plain couldn't watch Transporter with the things on...

·
Registered
564 Posts
This is exactly what I was looking for. I have one more question...

The Aura shakers require 25 watts. Does that mean that I need 25 watts per shaker, regardless of how I hook them up?

For example, I'm planning on 2 parallel strings of 4 shakers for a total impedance of 8 ohms. So, I need an amp that will supply at least 200 watts into 8 ohms?

Thanks,

--Burke

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi Burke,

That is how I figured out my amp requirement, but I am not sure if it is technically correct.

As a side note, some of the plate amps have significantly more power for a 4 ohm load. What I have generally seen is that this is around 100 watts. So, if you buy 1 more shaker you can run 3 parallel series of 3 shakers for a 4 ohm load. I know they are sold in pair, but either you can sit one on the shelf or run 1 series of 4 shakers and two series of 3 shakers for a 4.4 ohm load (close enough to 4). So, in this case, more is actually better.

Parts express has this amp for around $140 that is cool because it has remote control. It is 250 watts at 4 ohms and 150 at 8 ohms.

I don't use this amp, so I can't give it a personal recommendation. The amp I used is linked above in an earlier post. However, I think the remote control feature would be nice and I kind of wish I had it. Then I could hide the plate amp. As you can see in a picture in a post above, the amp is just sitting beside my couch and that has very low WAF. In fact, my wife complains about it, but it is relatively out of the way.

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Burke,

25 watts rms is the power handling capacity for those shakers, but you don't necessarily have to have that much power - I'm sure that you could get by with a bit less power if you needed to.

Good Luck,

David

·
Registered
138 Posts
Since you guys have this stuff down & I'm on the other end of the spectrum in know-how, Could you advise me?

I have a Rotel Amp that can be run in stereo OR in Bridged for mono.

"Copied straight out of the Owners manual"

Continuous Power Output = 30 Watt per channel, Min. RMS both channels driven into 8 ohms...........

DIN output = 55 watts per channel (1kHz, 4 ohms, 1% thd)

Power output = 90 watts (mono) min. RMS driven into 8 ohms from 20 to 20,000 hz with.......

Output (Speakers) = 8 ohms min (Bridged mono mode); 4-16 ohms (strereo mode)

Today I order 2 pairs for 4 chairs, 1 per chair. But later might add 4 more to have 2 per chair.

Do I want the amp mono(bridged) run as stereo with 2 shakers per channel?

Series, or parallel wiring or a combo of both.

Thanks for helping the weak minded ! ! ! !

·
Registered
766 Posts
Wrobe,

It doesn't seem to be a real good amp for this use, unless I am reading the specs wrong. What Rotel model is it? However, I would do the following:

With 4 shakers, I would run the amp in stereo mode with two shakers in series in each channel. This will give an 8 ohm load in each channel.

With 8 shakers, I would run in mono mode with 2 parallel sets of 4 shakers in series.

However, the amp may be a little underpowed in both cases.

In the first case, if the amp seems underpowered in stereo mode, you could bridge the amp and run 4 shakers in series through the mono channel. That would give you a 16 ohm load (more that you would want), but you would have better power output.

Come to think of it, with 4 shakers, I would try both ways and stick with what works best.

With 8 shakers, I would probably get a different amp.

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks..

The amp is Rotel RB-930AX.

I used it bridged for my center speaker' cause my old Denon Pro-logic receiver didn't power the center channel. I have since went with Yamaha & this has been in my closet for a year. I was hoping to put it to some good use.:)

PS: I ordered the 25 watt shaker, not the 50 watt shakers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
BUMP

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.