AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I own a pair of Thiels CS 3.6. Now I am driving it with an intigrated amp(Lyngdorf SDAi 2175) bud I really think that the Thiels want more power.

So this year I want to change my set. I was thinking to try an Electrocompaniet AW250, Parasound A-21, ... and also a new preamp.

Any suggestions or are ther some people here who has also the CS 3.6?

Sorry for my bad English. I am from Belgium

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Almost all of the thiels I have heard require a good solid 4 ohm amp. I think the amps you listed should be fine. You may want to check to see if stereophile did some measurements of those amps and see how they behave with loads down to 3 ohm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also read good things about Jeff Rowland and Mark Levinson(No.333).

Anyone hear these amps in combination with the Thiels?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molius /forum/post/15604513

I also read good things about Jeff Rowland and Mark Levinson(No.333).

Anyone hear these amps in combination with the Thiels?

I have heard a 331.5 and a 334 with the 3.6's. Both sounded wonderful. I would also recommend any Krell FPB.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I think even a nice old Levinson #23 or #23.5 would handle them nicely.

Reactions: JA Fant

·
Registered
458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/15627261

I think even a nice old Levinson #23 or #23.5 would handle them nicely.

The 23.5 along with the 27.5 were among my most favorite amps ever. These would make the Theil's sound great.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use to own a pair of the 3.6's and ran them with a pair of Krell FPB 250M's. They powered the 3.6's just fine, but I would have liked to try them with the FPB 350M's. Look for something used and save some money. I currently have a pair of VTL 450MB's and they would also have been great with the Thiels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I have different amps in the house for testing them with the Thiels.

-Marsh A 400S

-Usher R-1.5

-Perreaux 350

-Array Quartz M-2(2Mono)

-ARS Emitter

I have these amps for 3 weeks, that means a lot of listenig!!

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Interested on your thoughts on the ASR Emitter ( integrated amp ) as it has received some great, and quite unknown in North America

- Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now i have the Usher R 1.5 in the house and it sounds great. It is also the cheapest one. Next week I get the ASR. Marsh is not my kind of stuff.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I went from an EAD Powermaster 500 (the 2000's little, little brother)

to a Proceed HPA 2.

Huge improvement in the bass with the Thiel 3.6's.

I think Thiel uses Classe amps. Give them a shout.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've owned my 3.6's since 1993 and have driven them with a variety of amps in that time. At first, I used a Threshold S500e...a nice beefy 500 watt at 4 ohm powerhouse. It did a very nice job. I then went with a pure class A Threshold SA/4e...that worked even better. That's the amp I have been using for the last 14 years or so.

A month or so back, I bought a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks. They are rated at 500 watts at 8 ohms and 1,000 watts at 4 ohm. They do a surprisingly nice job with my thiels and are a great value to boot. I've been switching back and forth between the Threshold and the XPA-1s trying to decide which I like best.

Has anyone else tried an Emotiva amp with Thiels?

·
Registered
633 Posts
This thread has been silent for 8 years...just curious...how many people are still using their Thiel 3.6's? Have any of you had any issues with blowing a driver or a crossover component failure? How about on going service with Thiel in their new incarnation in Nashville?

I've been using my 3.6's since I bought them new from Audio Consultants in Illinois, back in 1993. I did have a midrange driver go bad in around 2006 or so. The voice coil sort of unwound with the copper wires sticking out. I took the speaker to Audio Consultants where I had purchased them, and they took care of sending the driver back to Thiel to be rebuilt, and re installing it afterward. Thiel didn't charge for that and neither did Audio Consultants.

I had a tweeter failure in the same speaker that had the midrange issue, in 2014. I called Thiel and spoke with a very knowledgeable gentleman who suggested I return the tweeter driver to them to be rebuilt. I did that, and received a call from Thiel a week or so later. He said the tweeter showed serious damage from being over driven. That didn't make much sense, since the music I listen to is acoustic folk...not exactly heavy metal ear splitting music. I also only use top quality amps to drive the speakers. That caused the Thiel tech to bring up a possible issue with the crossover. He said they had some 3.6's where a specific component in the crossover would fail causing the tweeter to be sent far more of the audio signal then it was built to receive. He had me check the resistance from the negative terminal on the bottom of the cabinet, to the positive wire that was attached to the tweeter. The resistance SHOULD be about 20 ohms. Mine showed a tenth of an ohm resistance, basically a dead short. That explained the blown tweeter, and the same fate would have befell the rebuilt tweeter had I connected it back up again.

Armed with the Thiel guys explanation of the part in the crossover that had failed, I took the speaker and the freshly rebuilt tweeter to the repair department of Audio Consultants. They replaced the faulty crossover part and reinstalled the rebuilt tweeter...all fixed. Thiel charged $250.00 to rebuild the tweeter, and Audio Consultants charged $50.00 to repair the crossover. Very reasonable charges to get a 20 plus year old speaker back working like new again.

·
Premium Member
7,380 Posts
This thread has been silent for 8 years...just curious...how many people are still using their Thiel 3.6's? Have any of you had any issues with blowing a driver or a crossover component failure? How about on going service with Thiel in their new incarnation in Nashville?

I've been using my 3.6's since I bought them new from Audio Consultants in Illinois, back in 1993. I did have a midrange driver go bad in around 2006 or so. The voice coil sort of unwound with the copper wires sticking out. I took the speaker to Audio Consultants where I had purchased them, and they took care of sending the driver back to Thiel to be rebuilt, and re installing it afterward. Thiel didn't charge for that and neither did Audio Consultants.

I had a tweeter failure in the same speaker that had the midrange issue, in 2014. I called Thiel and spoke with a very knowledgeable gentleman who suggested I return the tweeter driver to them to be rebuilt. I did that, and received a call from Thiel a week or so later. He said the tweeter showed serious damage from being over driven. That didn't make much sense, since the music I listen to is acoustic folk...not exactly heavy metal ear splitting music. I also only use top quality amps to drive the speakers. That caused the Thiel tech to bring up a possible issue with the crossover. He said they had some 3.6's where a specific component in the crossover would fail causing the tweeter to be sent far more of the audio signal then it was built to receive. He had me check the resistance from the negative terminal on the bottom of the cabinet, to the positive wire that was attached to the tweeter. The resistance SHOULD be about 20 ohms. Mine showed a tenth of an ohm resistance, basically a dead short. That explained the blown tweeter, and the same fate would have befell the rebuilt tweeter had I connected it back up again.

Armed with the Thiel guys explanation of the part in the crossover that had failed, I took the speaker and the freshly rebuilt tweeter to the repair department of Audio Consultants. They replaced the faulty crossover part and reinstalled the rebuilt tweeter...all fixed. Thiel charged $250.00 to rebuild the tweeter, and Audio Consultants charged $50.00 to repair the crossover. Very reasonable charges to get a 20 plus year old speaker back working like new again.
Resurrecting your resurrection :)

Still have 3.6's in a home theater, driven by Krell amps. Need a new AVR (which I've used as pre-pros only) but wonder if there is, has been, or ever will be an AVR that can actually drive this incredibly demanding load.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Resurrecting your resurrection :)

Still have 3.6's in a home theater, driven by Krell amps. Need a new AVR (which I've used as pre-pros only) but wonder if there is, has been, or ever will be an AVR that can actually drive this incredibly demanding load.

My 3.6's are still in use daily in my main system. Every so often I think maybe it's time to get something new and I go audition some other speakers. Then I come home and listen to the Thiels and they still sound really really good. I do have a second system in my living room based on Magnepan speakers...1.7's front, CC3 center and MMG surrounds, and that produces a whole different sound that I sometimes prefer on some music. It's nice having a choice.

I'm still using my Integra DHC 9.9 pre amp /processor with the Thiels. It still does the job. It does not include the latest surround modes...like Dolby Atmos, but I haven't had any desire to go that route either. The 7.2 surround I have does just fine.

As for using an AVR's power amps with the Thiels, that's never going to make your Thiels sound anywhere near their best, like you're getting now with the Krells. I use an AVR as a pre amp / processor in my living room system, a Yamaha TSR -7810. I briefly tried using two of the power amp channels from it to drive the Magnepans. Not a good match, and the Thiels are even more power hungry. I use an Emotiva XPA2, gen 3on the Maggies now. Much better.

·
Premium Member
7,380 Posts
My 3.6's are still in use daily in my main system. Every so often I think maybe it's time to get something new and I go audition some other speakers. Then I come home and listen to the Thiels and they still sound really really good. I do have a second system in my living room based on Magnepan speakers...1.7's front, CC3 center and MMG surrounds, and that produces a whole different sound that I sometimes prefer on some music. It's nice having a choice.

I'm still using my Integra DHC 9.9 pre amp /processor with the Thiels. It still does the job. It does not include the latest surround modes...like Dolby Atmos, but I haven't had any desire to go that route either. The 7.2 surround I have does just fine.

As for using an AVR's power amps with the Thiels, that's never going to make your Thiels sound anywhere near their best, like you're getting now with the Krells. I use an AVR as a pre amp / processor in my living room system, a Yamaha TSR -7810. I briefly tried using two of the power amp channels from it to drive the Magnepans. Not a good match, and the Thiels are even more power hungry. I use an Emotiva XPA2, gen 3on the Maggies now. Much better.
Yeah the funny thing is the only thing I could envision swapping the 3.6s for is the kind of installation I now have in my primary set up, which is 3 on-ceiling Thiel Power Point 1.2s (L/C/R) an 4 in-ceiling Power Planes for surrounds. Plus subs of course.

Point being that it was a lifestyle change more than a gear change per se. I'm with you in that it's hard to imagine swapping out the 3.6s for another pair of large floor standing speakers. Instead, I cleared out a ton of floor and cabinet space. Makes the room much more livable and with a much higher WAF. Of course it comes at the expense of the nth degree of performance, but the Power line they made was really really good. And as an added bonus they sound fantastic driven by my Marantz 8012.

Was really surprised by that, which is why I've begun to wonder about the 3.6s and the amps in the better AVRs. I may never get around to trying...swapping out AVRs is such a pain! The funny thing is, at least in my travels on the webz, I haven't found a single 3.6 owner that even tried!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Yeah the funny thing is the only thing I could envision swapping the 3.6s for is the kind of installation I now have in my primary set up, which is 3 on-ceiling Thiel Power Point 1.2s (L/C/R) an 4 in-ceiling Power Planes for surrounds. Plus subs of course.

Point being that it was a lifestyle change more than a gear change per se. I'm with you in that it's hard to imagine swapping out the 3.6s for another pair of large floor standing speakers. Instead, I cleared out a ton of floor and cabinet space. Makes the room much more livable and with a much higher WAF. Of course it comes at the expense of the nth degree of performance, but the Power line they made was really really good. And as an added bonus they sound fantastic driven by my Marantz 8012.

Was really surprised by that, which is why I've begun to wonder about the 3.6s and the amps in the better AVRs. I may never get around to trying...swapping out AVRs is such a pain! The funny thing is, at least in my travels on the webz, I haven't found a single 3.6 owner that even tried!

Good Monday- A fellow Thiel Audio fan here as well. Please feel free to join us over on the Thiel Owner's thread within Audiogon Forums under speaker catagory. :)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts

Good Monday- I facilitate a Thiel Audio thread over on Audiogon Forums called "Thiel Owners" under the speaker catagory. Please feel free to join us. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts