AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my receiver I am using an onkyo 705. I am looking to purchase an external amp to power the main right and main left speaker, leaving the receiver to power the center and the surrounds. If I am to use external amps is that the best approach, or should I get an amp to power the center channel? Or do I need to pick up an amp to power the fronts and center? Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to the whole external amp idea.

So far I am interested in the outlaw monoblock amp. Is there anything else that delivers 200 watts per channel in a small package such as this amp? The max I would like to spend on amps is $800 but would love to be closer to $500 or $600 if possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jeff

for $500-$800 you will be very lucky to find any quality 2 channel 200 watt amp, much less 5 channel. I have OUtlaw gear and you can't go wrong with it, since you can add an amp one at a time. However getting an equal sound balance will be difficult. I'm no guru, but I would have the same amp and power run either the mains or the mains and the center. At that point you are into 3 monoblocks or a 5 channel amp, assuming you are doing 5.1, and that will be above your budget. Getting into quality separates is the way to go, but it ain't cheap. If you are still interested in in a two channel amp, pm me about mine that i just replaced and am selling, 125x2.

You also didn't tell what your speakers are to know the power needs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it took me a bit to post back. As of right now I'm using the 422 intimus speakers from aperion. I may send back the fronts and center to upgrade to the 532 fronts and 533 vac for the center. Either way I'm wondering if at this price point for speakers am I just wasting money on unneeded amps?

As far as my listening habits I listen to a mix of music and ht. The listening distance is 10 feet from the fronts and center.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts