AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a receiver that will accomodate my Richter scale EQ. No one has tape monitor loops anymore :(

It looks like using the main pre-out and a main in would work?

I see a lot of receivers that have "ext. in" (Denon 3803), "multi-channel in" (Sony 4es)

Is that what these inputs are for?

thx

bob

·
Registered
862 Posts
No, that's not what those inputs are for, but you CAN use them for that. I have attached an external EQ between my CD player and my Sony DA4ES using the CD input. Of course, you can't run the tuner through it or your DVD digital sources through it.

(If you use multi-channel input, there is no bass redirection to the sub.)

Some receivers still have tape monitors (my Pioneer D811s does), but they only work for the 2 channel analog sources.

Another way an EQ can be used is between the preoouts on one receiver or prepro and the inputs on another receiver or amplifer, but at lower volumes, the noise floor on the EQ would be much higher in respect to the music since it's not a line-level signal being fed into the EQ until you reach high volumes. The same is true for a receiver that has pre-out and main-ins on the same receiver. Unfortunately, for receivers that have these main-ins, they are NOT included for all channels.

See:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...er+and+preouts

There was also a debate about this EQ issue in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=equalizer

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spongebob
I'm trying to find a receiver that will accomodate my Richter scale EQ. No one has tape monitor loops anymore :(

It looks like using the main pre-out and a main in would work?

I see a lot of receivers that have "ext. in" (Denon 3803), "multi-channel in" (Sony 4es)

Is that what these inputs are for?

thx

bob
Tape monitors are not used any more as there no 3-head tape decks, and they screw up to the analog input level of the Dolby Pro Logic decoder. Best place is between Pre-Outs/Main-Ins as U mentioned, a couple of AVRs that have this are the Harman/Kardon AVR 520 and AVR 8000 both have been discontinued but can be found at good $ by searching around.. :cool:

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Rex

Do you have info on the built in EQ on the Sony 4es and the Elite 45? I only need it for bass (no sub here), my Richter scale does an amazing job w/ 5 bands, 31-125hz graphic EQ. Of course it comes with its' own calibrated microphone, warble tone generator and meter to set it up!

Being only a low freq. eq, do you think the noise floor would be as bad using pre-out to main ins as a full range eq? (hisssssssssss)

I appreciate all your input on the forum here

BTW, is there an online manual fo the Sony anywhere?

thx

bob

(posted this on the wrong thread)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
In addition to the Harman Kardon AVR-8000 & AVR-520, the NAD T762 offers amplifier inputs. But all have only 5-powered channels. The 520 was selling in the mid-$500's not too long ago, so it's a pretty good deal for this purpose.

The 45TX has fixed midpoints at 63Hz and 125Hz, both about an octave wide. So it would offer much less than what you already have.

Tom B.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Tom

Does *anyone* have a tape monitor loop anymore?

What's your feeling about running the richter scale between the main outs into the mains in vs. tape monitor loop? (Noise level)

thx

bob

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If you are only trying to apply the EQ to a 2-channel source, then you could indeed try the tape monitor loop. It will add some noise, how much will depend upon the equipment. Since this is a freeby, just grab a couple of interconnects, hook it up and give it a listen.

If your present receiver has preamp outputs, then you could also purchase a used 2-channel power amp and put the EQ between the receiver and it and then use the amp to drive your front 2 speakers. One can find pretty decent 100-200wpc amps in the $250-$500 range.

Tom B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.