AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 22l2 Quad birds eye maple with matching powered sub. I am using a cheap Onkyo amp I bough 8 years ago new for $200. I own a squeezebox duet as well and listen to that and CD's.

I am not gonna lie I love the look of tube amps and really really want one, at the same time I am not gonna over pay for looks cause sound is my #1 goal.

I am looking at the Decco or Nova from peachtree since it has great reviews on the built in DAC and tube preamp. I also like the Jolida amps visually. I would like to spend no more than $1200. So please make a recommendation for a nice looking and most importantly great sounding amp I want this to last 10+ years. I love warm mids and very punch crisp drums/trumpets if that makes sense.

i listen to electronic, jazz, latin, classical music, and rock

thanks for help in advance

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusoslo /forum/post/17029988

I have a set of 22l2 Quad birds eye maple with matching powered sub. I am using a cheap Onkyo amp I bough 8 years ago new for $200. I own a squeezebox duet as well and listen to that and CD's.

I am not gonna lie I love the look of tube amps and really really want one, at the same time I am not gonna over pay for looks cause sound is my #1 goal.

I am looking at the Decco or Nova from peachtree since it has great reviews on the built in DAC and tube preamp. I also like the Jolida amps visually. I would like to spend no more than $1200. So please make a recommendation for a nice looking and most importantly great sounding amp I want this to last 10+ years. I love warm mids and very punch crisp drums/trumpets if that makes sense.

i listen to electronic, jazz, latin, classical music, and rock

thanks for help in advance

If you are referring to Quad electrostatic speakers, they make amplifiers which are fully compatible with their speakers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You are doing injustice to the Quads. They are great speakers.

I am not a tube guy, so don't know about the amps you mentioned. Did you check the "hybrid" sections on audiogon.com for a good integrated? Check Prima Luna and Unison Research "used" on that site. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Yusoslo, from what I can tell about your speaker's spec, they seem like a relatively benign load at 89 db sens. @ 6 ohms, 1w/1m with easy impedance and phase curves(from the info I found). There are many tube amps that should work great depending on the size of your room and listening habits; can you provide a little more info on this? IMHO, there are really fine sounding tube amps a bit above $1200 retail that could be compatible depending on the above factors. I definitely would recommend getting a quality amp and not skimping as milpai is right--your speakers are great and deserve it.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milpai /forum/post/17073961

You are doing injustice to the Quads. They are great speakers.

Why is he doing injustice to the Quads? Maybe I missed something?

To the OP: Check out the Onix SP3 at bargain prices on A'gon. They are pretty decent at 38wpc.

If you dont want to get into biasing etc, look at the primaluna Prolouge/dialouge series (with autobiasing). I have the Prolouge ONE and its a pretty decent Integrated amp. At the same time I am considering selling it, since I am ready to jump into separates.

OTOH if you want to go with something hybrid, check out the vincent gear. The 236MkII got a pretty good review recently in Stereophile, FWIW. I have not personally heard it though, so I am going to hold my recommendation on it, but I guess other might have, who might chime in.

All the best...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you guys so much for this info.

One thing is my listening room at the moment is 14 x 12 and ufortunately I am only about 6 feet from the speakers, but this is my condo. I am buying a house soon and am going to have a pro acoustic company set the room up for me.

I have not signed on in a while so I will do so research on this mentioned amps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am really digging the looks and reviews of the onix sp3...but I am having a hard time thinking it will outperform the peachtree nova with its highly rated DAC. I assume there is no DAC with the Onix.

·
Registered
161 Posts
the nova and the sp3 are totally different beasts!

Apples and Bananas!

The sp3 is all tube goodness in a very nice package. Has analog ins only. You cant feed it digital or USB for that matter.

OTOH the nova has a very nice DAC with USB too...

So it can accept - analog(red and white cables); or digital(coax, optical or USB); so u can use your computer/CDP/DVDP/Squeezebox/sonos as a source as a source. From what I remember it has a hybrid design. Meaning it has an initial tube stage, to give it a tubey sound with the SS stage juicing it up.

If you want to experience tubes on a budget and have no need for a digital only input, go with the sp3. You can always add an external DAC like the CA DACmagic for less than $400, to make it sound super!! The DACmagic does USB too. You can find the combo for 800-850 on AG. You can try it and if you dont like it, sell it pretty much for the same price.

Alternatively, if you just want to keep it simple, go with the NOVA. Everything in one box. If space is at premium and if ur the kind of guy who likes to KIS, its a great, one box solution.

All the best!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the info.... I am really leaning toward the nova.

but for 1 grand I can get a new nova

or

a new DACmagic and a Onix sp3.

I am a mechanically engineer and like things visual and complex. But I want to know if the Onix combo will be significantly better in terms of sound depth and quality

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman /forum/post/17081086

Why is he doing injustice to the Quads? Maybe I missed something?

The Quads really deserve a good amp rather than a cheap 8 year old amp. I upgraded my preamp...from the built-in in an NAD integrated to a Promitheus Reference C-Core and the jump in sound quality of my Quad 21L is MASSIVE. Now I am looking forward to upgrade the power amp of the integrated with a dedicated power amp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the reply. I am trying hard to demo some of these. I am going to check out my local store for the Nova but it will be hard to compare unless I bring in my onkyo to side by side it.

I dont know if the owner will let me demo the Nova at my house

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
yusoslo, IMHO, if you have a hole burning in your wallet, and want to spend more than what those speakers usually go for (and $1,200 is more than what those go for, as far as I have seen), I would just entertain the idea of a speaker upgrade instead. Sure, you might have to pony up more cash to make that significant upgrade (and not so much a lateral one), but that's how your money is best spent, IMO.

The variations between electronics are there, but they're pretty minuscule compared to the variations between the devices that are given the extremely difficult task of converting electrical energy into accurate mechanical sound energy: speakers.

I've given your speakers a good audition, and as pleasant as they might be, I think the speaker upgrade is the WTG, IMO, in light of the situation. I listened to them side by side, off the same Rotel gear, with some BW 700 series, and I much preferred the latter for a large leap in increased transparency, but I didn't go with either, and spent considerably more than these price points. Not a fair comparo, as I think the BWs are/were about double the price, but I'm just trying to drive a point home.

·
Registered
53 Posts
jostenmeat,

I beg to differ on the Quad+Onkyo that the original poster has and wants to change the amp. I have the Quad 21L, and recently upgraded to a $1700 preamp. And the Quads easily showed me the difference. For me, it was sort of a revelation!! So a $1200 speaker is being used with $1700 preamp and $600 poweramp. And I am damn sure that the moment I upgrade to a better power amp, I will easily see (hear - but through Quads you really get to see) a better sound.

It is a shame that people dismiss the dynamic line of Quad loudspeakers so easily, because Quad has a superb reputations on being a electrostat. I experienced similar treatments from dealer side too. These speakers, when fed through proper amplifications, can easily trounce speakers costinf 2-4 times their price.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milpai /forum/post/17248656

jostenmeat,

I beg to differ on the Quad+Onkyo that the original poster has and wants to change the amp. And I am damn sure that the moment I upgrade to a better power amp, I will easily see (hear - but through Quads you really get to see) a better sound.

These speakers, when fed through proper amplifications, can easily trounce speakers costinf 2-4 times their price.

Could not agree more!

I recently bought the 22L2s for a sub 1K price on the Gon' and am loving it. Will keep it till my Salk STs arrive and then decide their fate.

The Quads sound incredible running off a primaluna prolouge 1 INT AMP/DACmagic/SB duet combo. I am comparing these to - Totem forests/B&W 804Ds/PSB Synchrony One - my three top choices. Just a notch below the B&W and 2 notches below the PSB for me. Comes closest to the Totems but lacks in details a touch, in a very pleasing way. Definitely better in the bass area than the totems. Of course this is just my opinion. But its not blind faith either - I did audition about 15-20 speaker pairs in the last 3-4 months out of which 3 were at home.

If I had to stay with the QUADS... I would not be unhappy. They are just one helluva speaker to me.

With reference to what the previous poster said, I dont think upgrading his electronics is a bad idea, since at this point, that seems to be his weak link. I dont think his audio quality will drastically improve if he purchased a $4000 pair of speakers either. If it were me, I would slowly upgrade one component at a time and be more futuristic with the thought that in the near future I might be purchasing much better speakers.

To the OP: work on just one piece of your chain at this time: a better amp/int.amp might give you most bang for the buck.Later you can upgrade the PRE or a DAC etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info. The information on all tube amps like the onix lacking in bass control worries me. So here is my plan.

1k Int Amp (Emotiva??) any other suggestions

external DAC (Dac Magic)

then a tube pre amp later down the road

I do like the NOVA but I feel it will lack in power unless I am mistaken. If the Nova can handle the DAC and amp capabilites maybe its my best all in one option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since the Quads are an easly load, the Nova should work great with the speakers, unless you're constantly listening at super loud volumes and/or in a huge space. But in terms of normal spaces and use, 50 wpc should get plenty loud.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusoslo /forum/post/17261054

Thanks for the info. The information on all tube amps like the onix lacking in bass control worries me. So here is my plan.

1k Int Amp (Emotiva??) any other suggestions

external DAC (Dac Magic)

then a tube pre amp later down the road

I do like the NOVA but I feel it will lack in power unless I am mistaken. If the Nova can handle the DAC and amp capabilites maybe its my best all in one option.

To my knowledge, Emotiva doesnt have an Integrated option yet, unless they just released it recently. Their soilid state stuff is very good for the $$. I have their 5-ch, now retired LPA-1 and its pretty nice.

If you have a reciever of some sort... add a nice beefy amp for now... the XPA-2 from emotiva is a very good option. In due course u can add a pre and a dac. Even Emotiva's new PRE whenever it gets released might be a candidate.

The NOVA is a simple all-in-one option. At 80wpc, it wont let you down with a nice DAC inbuilt and no needs for interconnects. Might not be the best option for the long run especially if u move and get bigger more demanding speakers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts