AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

Need some advice on an A/V receiver or A/V receiver amp combo to drive my SVS Ultra bookshelfs. They have an 8ohm rating but are a 4 ohm speaker. What A/V receiver would be best for these speakers?

I was planning on running them off of a Denon X4000, that is what SVS recommended. That was before I read the review on audioholics.com. I would like to calibrate using xt32 built into denon receivers while powering my speakers with outlaw model 5000 amp, but the X4000 does not support preamp.

What amp or combo of an amp/av receiver would be best for these speakers running in a 5.2 set up. Room size 17x20x9. Moives/music/gaming/sports/tv ( mixed viewing )

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I was planning on running them off of a Denon X4000, that is what SVS recommended. That was before I read the review on audioholics.com. I would like to calibrate using xt32 built into denon receivers while powering my speakers with outlaw model 5000 amp, but the X4000 does not support preamp.

I'm not sure where you got that info, but the X4000 DOES have pre outs, so you can use the Outlaw amp and still utilize XT32.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure where you got that info, but the X4000 DOES have pre outs, so you can use the Outlaw amp and still utilize XT32.
You are correct, I got my information from a review of the x3000/x4000. Mixed the two up, 4000 has the pre out 3k does not. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Hello-

Need some advice on an A/V receiver or A/V receiver amp combo to drive my SVS Ultra bookshelfs. They have an 8ohm rating but are a 4 ohm speaker. What A/V receiver would be best for these speakers?

What amp or combo of an amp/av receiver would be best for these speakers running in a 5.2 set up. Room size 17x20x9. Moives/music/gaming/sports/tv ( mixed viewing )
Hi Deep. The answer to your question depends on a few factors including your listening distance, your preferred maximum volume levels and to a certain extent, the general acoustic properties of your room.

For example, if you listen/watch at -15dBMV maximum at a 10ft distance in a room with plenty of acoustically reflective surfaces, each of the Ultra Bookshelves (87dB/1W/1m sensitivity) could require around 8dBW or 7W bursts of power to produce the theoretical 90dBSPL peaks at the seats. At these levels, the X4000 would obviously be entirely comfortable. The Ultra's impedance dip to 4Ω at 200Hz would not be an issue as the X4000 would have no problem supplying the requisite current at this output level.

At the other end of the spectrum, if you regularly listen/watch at up to 0dBMV ("reference") at 15ft distance in a room with lots of soft furnishings, carpets etc, each of the Ultra's could require around 26dBW or 400W bursts of power to produce the theoretical 105dBSPL reference peaks at the seats. Clearly, this is in the territory of needing a 4Ω rated power amp capable of delivering at least 200W per channel on a continuous basis.

Your actual situation is most likely between these two extremes. Let us know a bit more information about your situation (volume preferences, listening distance etc.) and we can have a crack at working something out. ;)

Having said all that, a reasonable compromise solution for you could be a factory refurbished Denon AVR-4520CI for $800 shipped (http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-flagship-home-theater-receiver-150wpc/1.html). It's 4Ω rated, has plenty of power, packs Audyssey XT32, is made in Japan and will keep your system relatively straightforward.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Deep. The answer to your question depends on a few factors including your listening distance, your preferred maximum volume levels and to a certain extent, the general acoustic properties of your room.

For example, if you listen/watch at -15dBMV maximum at a 10ft distance in a room with plenty of acoustically reflective surfaces, each of the Ultra Bookshelves (87dB/1W/1m sensitivity) could require around 8dBW or 7W bursts of power to produce the theoretical 90dBSPL peaks at the seats. At these levels, the X4000 would obviously be entirely comfortable. The Ultra's impedance dip to 4Ω at 200Hz would not be an issue as the X4000 would have no problem supplying the requisite current at this output level.

At the other end of the spectrum, if you regularly listen/watch at up to 0dBMV ("reference") at 15ft distance in a room with lots of soft furnishings, carpets etc, each of the Ultra's could require around 26dBW or 400W bursts of power to produce the theoretical 105dBSPL reference peaks at the seats. Clearly, this is in the territory of needing a 4Ω rated power amp capable of delivering at least 200W per channel on a continuous basis.

Your actual situation is most likely between these two extremes. Let us know a bit more information about your situation (volume preferences, listening distance etc.) and we can have a crack at working something out. ;)

Having said all that, a reasonable compromise solution for you could be a factory refurbished Denon AVR-4520CI for $800 shipped (http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-flagship-home-theater-receiver-150wpc/1.html). It's 4Ω rated, has plenty of power, packs Audyssey XT32, is made in Japan and will keep your system relatively straightforward.
Thanks for the detailed response and for taking the time to add a recommendation.

The MLP will be about 10ft from LCR channels. I don't plan on listening at reference levels, sports general tv will be around -20 to -30, movies/music -10 to -20, . My room is hard wood floor, walls are drywall.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response and for taking the time to add a recommendation.

The MLP will be about 10ft from LCR channels. I don't plan on listening at reference levels, sports general tv will be around -20 to -30, movies/music -10 to -20, . My room is hard wood floor, walls are drywall.
With your seating distance and volume level mentioned, most mid to upper AVR's will fit the bill.;) No external amplifacation neccessary as previously mentioned...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
With your seating distance and volume level mentioned, most mid to upper AVR's will fit the bill.;) No external amplifacation neccessary as previously mentioned...
My goal is to get the most from my speakers at all volume levels, if that can be achieved within the same manner with an X4000 as it would with a 4520ci, I will take the savings and go with the x4000. My budget for a receiver is $1200, if I only need to spend half of that to drive my speakers great, if i need to leverage my entire budget I am willing to do that as well as I want to ensure I dont sacrifice sound reproduction.

Review of the Denon 4520CI knocks it for its audio reproduction. http://www.digitaltrends.com/receivers-separates-amps-reviews/denon-avr-4520ci-review/

I am also considering the Marantz SR7008 http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ork-home-theater-receiver-with-airplay/1.html

Open to other recommendations...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
My goal is to get the most from my speakers at all volume levels, if that can be achieved within the same manner with an X4000 as it would with a 4520ci, I will take the savings and go with the x4000. My budget for a receiver is $1200, if I only need to spend half of that to drive my speakers great, if i need to leverage my entire budget I am willing to do that as well as I want to ensure I dont sacrifice sound reproduction.

Review of the Denon 4520CI knocks it for its audio reproduction. http://www.digitaltrends.com/receivers-separates-amps-reviews/denon-avr-4520ci-review/

I am also considering the Marantz SR7008 http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ork-home-theater-receiver-with-airplay/1.html

Open to other recommendations...

Both those Denons and the Marantz, are great canidates...;)

Try posting in the svs owners thread, that way you can get Opinions from real owners of the bookshelfs!

Reactions: deepat04
1 - 8 of 8 Posts