AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I need some suggestions.

I am setting up an music room and am contemplating purchasing a pair of Aperion Intimus 533-PT tower speakers.

I am wondering what you guys would suggest to power them. This will probably be a dedicated music room. I am an avid music listener. Should I go with a multichannel receiver or a powered stereo amp. Would I need an EQ with a power stero amp? I'm a guitar player and love the sound tube amps provide. Are there reasonably priced tube amps that would work well?

I'm looking to spend less than 1,000 bucks (cheaper is better). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have a better suggestion for speakers, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I see that speaker has a built in amp for the woofer, which could mean you don't need a sub but also means you may have problems placing the speakers for optimal bass response. But that also means you don't need a lot of power for the rest of the drivers, so a good stereo receiver should do fine, though in general separates will usually offer superior sound if get the better stuff. For under $1k a stereo receiver or integrated amp is probably what you want. Keep in mind stereo receivers do not have DACs and most don't have crossovers for subs, though with these speakers that should not be a problem. The speaker in question is just 88 dB sensitive (8 ohm) so they are average in terms of power requirements, but the size of the room and your listening tastes will dictate how much power you need.

NAD makes a nice integrated amp (preamp/power amp combo) and Audio Advisor has a clerance special on a NAD C372 integrated amp (150 watts/ch) and a free separate NAD C422 tuner for $995 that may be just what you want. They have other NAD integrated for even less, so you may want to check them out at audioadvisor.com.

As for your speakers, Aperion makes pretty ones, but you may want to look at Ascend Acoustics, Axiom, and RBH speakers also in your price range. All sell direct and allow an audition period.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.