Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story:

Lightning strikes :( and finds it's way around all my surge protectors (Isobars) and blows out the two BASH amps built into my PSB 7pts (powered towers). Warranty does not cover the Amp portion (had them too long).

The speakers themselves are perfect :) ....just the amp portion of the Amps is blown I believe, the active crossover for the bass woofers may still be ok :confused: .

I will not just toss the speakers. The cabinets and the woofers, 2 bass, 1 midrange; and the tweeters are fine. The midrange and tweeter have their own passive crossover while the bottom two bass drivers have an active crossover that is integrated with the amp.

I'm looking for ideas on how to resolve this issue and save these speakers at least for a second room or something, if not for my main room.

Any and all ideas are GREATLY APPRECIATED! :)

TREVOR

·
Registered
685 Posts
Don't surge protectors usually have something like insurance on them? I remember seeing it advertised on the front of the $8 surge protector I bought at Radio Shack, maybe you can get it replaced by the company who made the surge protectors?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) Fuses are fine. That's why I think it went through the audio lines from the receiver. The fuse only affects the ac power line.

2) PSB wants $275ea. for replacement amps. I don't have the $$ to do that. Baby # 2 is on the way.

3)Insurance thing has been done, but the receiver was more important to replace. I now have my older 2B's (bookshelf) up front now. $1000 deductables will get you everytime. No receipts for the surge protector (that's key to their policy)

:( I don't want this to go off to the topic of "You should have had a power conditioner with all lines connected". I understand that, and money is was tight and plans have been put in place to get one, (that's why I can't afford to buy PSB's replacements).

As for the passive crossover idea. :) :) I like that idea, and that was my original thought. My problem is, I don't know where or what crossover to buy. I have done some research, but there are many many different ones out there and I still want to have good quality here.

TREVOR

·
Banned
2,646 Posts
Quote:
I don't want this to go off to the topic of "You should have had a power conditioner with all lines connected".
Lightning travels through miles of normally non-conductive air....no 'device' will prevent a lightning strike from propogating through.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, lightning is a *****. :eek: People who think they're protected by equipment are vastly mistaken. They may be protected from a smaller jolt that is farther away, but if it lands next to your house (within 100-200 yards) your toast, and you just have to deal with it.

See, now I'm going off topic on my own thread.....shame on me. ;)

TREVOR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.