AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another simple minded question from a new guy. I'm planning on running a set of speakers in a different room off of a "sub-room" pre-amp output on my receiver. What's the best way to set this up? Run a long cable from the pre-amp output to the other room, or have the amp close to the receiver and run long speaker wires?

Also, if anybody has the time, could someone explain what I'd need to have speakers in different rooms of my house, run off of my one receiver? Is there some kind of switching box that has one input and multiple room outputs? I have a JVC 9000 receiver.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mr. Eric,

I'm going to thread-jump here and join you in your quest, if you don't mind.

I am also at the stage of making that same decision in my HT room: 3-channel amp in front, closest to the front array, or amp in back, nearer the receiver. I've read, in several places, that it's best to have the speaker cables as short as possible, but a local guru told me that it's actually better to shorten the interconnects which (because of their lower voltage/current) are more prone to signal degradation.

I'm anxious to hear the decision here,

Ross

·
Registered
469 Posts
Eric: There is more then one way to skin a cat. You could come out of your JVC Receiver from the pre-outs into an amplifier close to the Receiver, run speaker wire to the other room. The gauge of the speaker wire depends upon the distance to the other room. Normally 16 gauge wire will do. However, if you are running long distance, you might have to use 14 or even 12 gauge wire. Best bet is CL-2 or CL-3 UL speaker wire. As far as Speaker Selectors are concerned, many companies such as Niles, Audioplex Technology, Russound make them. They are available for anynumber of speaker pairs usually from 2 pairs up to 12 or more pairs. Some are also available with independent volume controls built in, some have A/B switching which allows you to have different sources playing in different parts of the house with the addition of another Receiver. Another really cool, but expensive unit is the Niles RVL-6, which allows you to independently control up to 6 pairs via X10 wireless remote control or Niles Intellipad. There are many other higher end choices such as Niles MRZ-6, etc. Good Luck.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mr. Hookup,

Thanks for the info. I'm still vague about the answer to the question about cable lengths, though - which is best shorter, speaker cables or interconnects? Any thoughts, anyone?

I did a search and found very little info.

Thanks,

Ross

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks guys!

So much for my plan to put my Acurus amp in the middle of my front array, though...

Ross

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.