AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to make a portable amp for a small set of 20W / 2 Ohm speakers to play with my ipod. My question is when buying an amp kit, what would be the ideal power output that would run the speakers comfortably? For example would a amp with an output of 7 w power the speakers sufficiently enough? Or does it have to be 20W?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Are they really 2 ohm speakers? That's pretty low...

How much power depends upon how far away you are and how efficient the speakers. A lot of PC systems use only a couple of watts. By portable do you mean battery powered? Keeping it under 10 W will extend the run time...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they are really 2 ohm speakers, they are fenders out of the new Volkswagen passat door. Crashed the car and wanted a souvenir of sorts. Yes portable as in battery powered. I was thinking of running it off either 4 AA of a single 9 V if that matters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Low-cost single chip amp kits designed to run off a single 9V battery will produce at most a half watt of power into an 8 ohm speaker. You will need more power than a small9V battery can supply, as well as an amp designed for use with the 2 ohm speakers commonly used in automobiles, if you want to get decent sound from the speakers you pulled out of your Passat.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
^ +1.

Your best bet is likely going to be a small car amp and a string of C or D cells to achieve 12 V with a play time of an hour or two. Small batteries will not provide the current capacity you need. NiMh rechargables are another option, but again AA probavbly won't cut it for long... 1 Wrms into 2 ohms means 0.71 A, a pretty hefty drain for a battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.