AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does Denon compare to Harmon Kardon as far as putting out the wattage per channel that it says. I read Harmon Kardon puts out pretty close to what it is rated with all channels running unlike other receivers whose ratings are based on 1 channel. Does Denon put out the same as they are rated?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_shs_98 /forum/post/16965642

How does Denon compare to Harmon Kardon as far as putting out the wattage per channel that it says. I read Harmon Kardon puts out pretty close to what it is rated with all channels running unlike other receivers whose ratings are based on 1 channel. Does Denon put out the same as they are rated?

No, Denon does not put out the rated power they advertise. Some say it's better than a few others who are vastly overrated but it's still far from being it's honest power rating. Consider a 90wpc Denon to deliver about half that when running 7 channels...if that.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_shs_98 /forum/post/16965642

Really depends upon the price point of the AVR...

The lower priced Denon AVRs (below the 2310) tend to stretch the power spec alot more..

We have seen in lab test measurements when an AVR rated @ 75W x 7put out 23W when all channels are driven..

The all channels driven capability is more important when playing music rather movies. There are no free rides here, respectible, continuous power output when all channels are driven costs more $...

Just my $0.025..

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Denon specs that I have reviewed state power two channels at a time, and third party tests I've seen show them meeting those power specs. It does appear to be true with Denon, as with many other companies, the higher you go in their lines, the closer they come to meeting their specified power with 5 or 7 channels running simluteneously.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/16966313

Really depends upon the price point of the AVR...

The lower priced Denon AVRs (below the 2310) tend to stretch the power spec alot more..

We have seen in lab test measurements when an AVR rated @ 75W x 7put out 23W when all channels are driven..

The all channels driven capability is more important when playing music rather movies. There are no free rides here, respectible, continuous power output when all channels are driven costs more $...

Just my $0.025..

Couldn't agree more. My Denon 4806CI comes close to what it advertises, but it comes with a Toroidal Transformer and some hefty caps and output devices.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
You get what you pay for. Never owned anything HK less than Mid level in lineup and usually higher up and all performed as advertised in terms of power. Had other issues with some models but never involving power.

With other brands, I would strictly follow the 'mid level or preferably higher rule' just for insurance, if power was the consideration.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here are the Denon 4306ci test results from Sound & Vision Magazine:

Denon's AVR-4308CI impressed, with very good power results, and virtually perfect noise and linearity performance. Power with stereo channels driven handily bettered Denon's 140 watts spec, and performance with 5 channels driven was only a scant half-dB shy of that mark, at 126 watts. S/N on PCM signal was spot on the theoretically "perfect" mark on our dithered-silence test, and a couple tenths "better than perfect" with Dolby Digital signals.

Multichannel Performance:

Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)

1 channel driven: 171/280 W (22.3/24.5 dBW)

5 channels driven (8 ohms): 126 W (21 dBW)

7 channels driven (8 ohms): 111 W (20.5 dBW)

Stereo Performance:

Output at clipping (1 kHz, 8/4 ohms, both channels driven): 155/233 W (21.9/23.7 dBW)

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Better than my Yamaha. The 2700, which seems to have the same power section, only did 90 watts into 4 channels @ 8 ohms, 1 khz @ .01% THD. The Denon test numbers don't show THD, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts