AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an outlaw 770 amp. 7x200. i have an outlaw 950 pre pro. i have the av123 rocket 750's/rsc200/and 300 surrounds. i also have a hsu sub. ok, a lot of the eq. is long in the tooth but...when i listen to music..dvd aud or sacd (thru denon 2900 analogs) the sound at very high volume levels is "shrill". always has been. my question is in my pursuit of a new pre pro i'm wondering if the "shrill" at very high volumes would be attrituble to: amp--pre amp--or speakers. my guess is most of it is the pre pro (in that the outlaw had a reputation for very low output voltage. ie not enough gain.

what say you folks? any other experiences. in other words, my amp could be a keeper but what have other folks experienced.

·
The Village Idiot
9,768 Posts
Your listening environment has a lot to do with shrill highs plaguing your listening experience. High frequencies tend to bounce around better than the lower frequencies. If you have lots of glass wood tile and bare walls you will get more reflections. Take a look at your listening room and see if that is the problem.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
youve got plenty of good juice--speakers will definitely make the most difference for an upgrade but addressing room issues is also important. after that id upgrade the preamp to get the best room correction and new tech. then youre set.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Some source material sounds harsh in the upper frequencies. Try something in two channel mode which sounds very clean on good headphones. Maybe some well recorded jazz, listen to the cymbals.

I remember nothing sounded quite right in my bedroom in my last apartment. I spent quite a bit of money trying to fix it. I learned a lot from that experience - don't be quick to blame electronics for everything, or even speakers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.