AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys

time to upgrade my stuff, finally want to have lossless the digital way, i didn´t follow the scene in the last 1-2 years so i´d like some help from you guys

my source will be a HTPC, thinking about the new NVIDIA gfx card coming out very soon, they should have HDMI and be able to losslessly stream the HD formats, right? don´t really want to buy an otherwise useless hdmi soundcard just for that single purpose

i want to go semipro with my audio equipment, meaning seperate preamp and amps so that i need to upgrade only the preamp in the future and keep the amps

what i´d like to have:

preamp:

HDMI 1.3, 2 outputs! (doesn´t need to be simultaniously, for display+pj) some sort of room correction like Audyssey, gold plated balanced outputs, step by step activation of the amps would be nice (forgot the tech term)

amps:

digital mono or stereo amps, gold plated balanced inputs, they have to power 7 speakers, sub is active, so i need 7 mono or 4 stereo amps

budget 8k max 10k , time to buy: in the next 1-3 month depending if some awesome piece of tech arrives on the market or not

tia!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Preamp - you could go with the Pioneer VSX-23TXH or the SC-25. Both have 2 hdmi outputs and MCACC room correction. Not sure about the other stuff. Im sure there are many options, especially with that budget.

For amps, there are many options. You could go with 7 emotiva xpa-1, even though i think that would be overkill for the surround speakers.

Do you want the Amps to be in a rack, or sitting next to the front speakers?

I would get Theta digital Enterprise monoblocks for the front, and the Theata Digital dreadnaught III for the rest of the speakers. That would be a killer setup

·
Registered
951 Posts
Just to clarify?

You said digital single or double channel amps...do you mean digital as in ICE power or somthing similar?

Next Question: Do they have to match the pre-amp? For that amount of money I assume they would.

Matching AND Digital amps = Rotel 15 series but the pre-pro doesn't do room correction.

The matching set-ups from Denon and Marantz don't have digital amps.

Integra matching amps? Not really.

NAD or Parasound? Can't say as I'm not well versed in their product line.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
If I were building a new system today, it would probably include an Integra 80.1 or Onkyo Pro 5507 pre-pro with an Emotiva XPA-5 and an XPA-2 for the front L/R speakers.

If by "digital amps" you are referring to Class D (a common misconception), it beats me what you'd want to get for home use. I've got some Class D Alpine PDX amps in my car, but don't mind the extra weight and bulk of more conventional amps for a home installation.

Did your budget include speaker purchase too, or just the amps and pre-pro? The parts I mentioned should take about half the budget you mentioned. You could cut back to something like an Integra 40.1 and Emotiva's UPA amp series to free up more cash for other things, if needed.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You have not given any details of your speakers. The quality of speakers almost always determines the quality of a system.

If you have exceptional speakers, then you can worry about other things like preamps and amps.

Most individuals would be happy with a very good receiver (possibly with preamp outputs). Some receivers give WIFI streaming capability from a PC but you would still need to be able to transmit from your PC. Alternatively, there are add-on WIFI receivers that can be connected to other devices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts