AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the threads and haven't come across the answer I have wanted. Thought someone might be able to answer some of my questions. First off, if I buy a new receiver with the pre-out for an external amplifier (Onkyo 605 does not have one), will it matter which AVR I choose or is it just better to go with a middle grade one? I was thinking of switching my Onkyo 605 for a Yamaha V663 since it does have the pre-out for an external amplifier. The issue I run into is that I am told Yamaha's tend to be a bit bright. I currently have Polk RTI8 Fronts, CSI5 Center, Monitor50 Rear, MFW-15 sub and already consider my setup too bright (too harsh at loud volumes and not enough separation). So for example, if I switched to a yamaha and got an external amp is this going to tone down the brightness of the yamaha or will it just simply improve the power of the yamaha since it is still receiving the signal from the AVR.

I am also considering upgrading from an Onkyo 605 to a Marantz 7001, is this worth the upgrade? I really want my movies/music to come across more naturally with better separation. (No harshness at loud volumes and I want excellent vocal separation thru the center channel). Will upgrading the receiver achieve this, or am I looking at upgrading my speakers as well? Any advice would be much appreciated. I typically use my system for 60/40 - Movies/Music.

My current Setup:

Sony PS3

Onkyo 605

Samsung PN50B650

Polk RTI8 Fronts

Polk CSI5 Center

Polk Monitor 50 Rear

MFW-15 Subwoofer

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would not downgrade to a Yamaha! I had an 863 and replaced it with a 705 and the sound quality was much much better with the 705. I got the 705 a few weeks back, open box from BHPhoto for under $300. to my door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvpartridge /forum/post/16941772

I have searched the threads and haven't come across the answer I have wanted. Thought someone might be able to answer some of my questions. First off, if I buy a new receiver with the pre-out for an external amplifier (Onkyo 605 does not have one), will it matter which AVR I choose or is it just better to go with a middle grade one? I was thinking of switching my Onkyo 605 for a Yamaha V663 since it does have the pre-out for an external amplifier. The issue I run into is that I am told Yamaha's tend to be a bit bright. I currently have Polk RTI8 Fronts, CSI5 Center, Monitor50 Rear, MFW-15 sub and already consider my setup too bright (too harsh at loud volumes and not enough separation). So for example, if I switched to a yamaha and got an external amp is this going to tone down the brightness of the yamaha or will it just simply improve the power of the yamaha since it is still receiving the signal from the AVR.

I am also considering upgrading from an Onkyo 605 to a Marantz 7001, is this worth the upgrade? I really want my movies/music to come across more naturally with better separation. (No harshness at loud volumes and I want excellent vocal separation thru the center channel). Will upgrading the receiver achieve this, or am I looking at upgrading my speakers as well? Any advice would be much appreciated. I typically use my system for 60/40 - Movies/Music.

My current Setup:

Sony PS3

Onkyo 605

Samsung PN50B650

Polk RTI8 Fronts

Polk CSI5 Center

Polk Monitor 50 Rear

MFW-15 Subwoofer

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:

My current Setup:

Sony PS3

Onkyo 605

Samsung PN50B650

Polk RTI8 Fronts

Polk CSI5 Center

Polk Monitor 50 Rear

MFW-15 Subwoofer

If you're willing to spend money on a new receiver to have pre-outs and then one day buy an external amp, why not just get a really nice receiver now that will warm up your sound and give you more power than you need...thus eliminating the need for an external amp. The Marantz receiver you suggested would be great, or spring for an SR6003 to have your cake and eat it too

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies, I think you've got some good advice Danielson. Though I am not really willing to spend more than $500 for a receiver if its not going to be a significant upgrade in sound quality over the 605. The reason I was looking at the Yamaha is strictly for the pre-outs and maybe similar SQ to the Onkyo. I would like to have external amps in the future but maybe not right away. I am seeing the Marantz 7001 right now for $499(Refurbished) and I'm sure I could sell the very quickly.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvpartridge /forum/post/16942017

Thanks for your replies, I think you've got some good advice Danielson. Though I am not really willing to spend more than $500 for a receiver if its not going to be a significant upgrade in sound quality over the 605. The reason I was looking at the Yamaha is strictly for the pre-outs and maybe similar SQ to the Onkyo. I would like to have external amps in the future but maybe not right away. I am seeing the Marantz 7001 right now for $499(Refurbished) and I'm sure I could sell the very quickly.

I believe it comes with/or you can get a 1 year warranty on that. You can even sell the 605 to offset the cost of the Marantz. I'm pretty sure you'll notice a large improvement in power and more than likely SQ but that's subjective to your ears.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is a better deal? Marantz 6003 for $699 or Marantz 7001 for $499? They are both refurbs and they both have a 1 year warranty. I think the 7001 has more power than the 6003 whereas the 6003 has more of the newer codecs. I don't know if these knew codecs will benefit me that much if I am running PCM via the Playstation 3 and only have a 5.1 system.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvpartridge /forum/post/16942186

What is a better deal? Marantz 6003 for $699 or Marantz 7001 for $499? They are both refurbs and they both have a 1 year warranty. I think the 7001 has more power than the 6003 whereas the 6003 has more of the newer codecs. I don't know if these knew codecs will benefit me that much if I am running PCM via the Playstation 3 and only have a 5.1 system.

True, if you don't need HD decoding in your AVR then the 7001 is a better deal imo. I like the look of the 6003 more but the 7001 actually has 1 more HDMI input too. Despite being an older model and not having the ability to decode HD codecs it's pretty loaded with features.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I've heard nothing but good reviews about this AVR. And though the power rating is not much higher than my Onkyo 605, I believe it would be an excellent upgrade. I am bidding on one as we speak. Looks are also a much improvement from the 605.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:

I...The issue I run into is that I am told Yamaha's tend to be a bit bright....

I hear this all the time. But it seems like the kind of thing people repeat because they heard it once.

First off, what do they mean by bright? Accentuated high frequencies? This does not show up on benchmarks I have seen. Receivers, in general, measure very flat over the audio range and Yamaha is no exception.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what are you saying? No receiver is going to make a speaker sound warmer? I don't consider myself an expert as I haven't listened to many of the currrent AVR's but I think when a receiver cannot separate sounds so they are distinct, it just sounds like a lot of noise. Very annoying at high volumes, almost ear piercing. Then again, maybe its my speakers fault.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
hearing is highly subjective. It doesn't really matter what any benchtest says...it matters most what your ear says. Many people swear by Harman Kardons warm sound, many people also say Yamaha's have a bright sound. It's not anybody's place to argue with somebody's ears....they are the bottom line.

In theory all amps should sound the same but they don't in the end because of processing that's applied and other variables. I've heard a Pio VSX-1018 and it sounded very bright, I've heard a Denon and HK that sounded very warm. Am I wrong? Not to my ears...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts