AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing a lot of reading for receivers and am pretty sure I want to go for separates for quality of sound. I'll keep this short. I am new to this stuff. I am waiting for my new EMP system to arrive. This is what I will have for my speaker setup.
http://www.emptek.com/html/htp-351t.html

I also have an older passive sub in addition I was going to use for the rears. My setup includes a 50" Pioneer 1150 plasma, Kenwood KR-V7030 receiver (very old), DVD player (planning on Blue-ray soon), comcast digital box, DirecTV box and multi DVD player.

Would an Emotiva amp and lower cost receiver be worthwhile for this setup or should I just go with a better higher output receiver and separate amp? Also, to save money with my limited budget, would the 3 channel XPA-3 be a good idea for the 3 fronts and use the receiver to power the rears? Or is something like the 7 channel UPA-7 the better move? Would I really need that much power for the rears? I have no problem buying refurbished, used or last years model receivers to save money.

Not sure if I could even use my Kenwood with the Emotiva and save up for a newer receiver. The Audyssey sounds like something I would like to have on the new receiver as well as the new decoding capabilities. I was leaning towards the Pioneer 1018 as it seems to have most of the lastest technologies. Any comparable suggestions in that range or cheaper that would work? My room is about 17 x 21 and open to other rooms. Any affordable suggestions are appreciated.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Those speakers aren't very efficient. You will need some power to drive them. 78db?

Unless you play lots of music at high levels the XPA-3 may be more than you need.

I have the UPA-7 Emotiva. I use an HK AVR 247 as a pre/pro. Total cost is/was $803 a few months ago. The HK was bought refurbished from Harman Audio. I have no issues with it. YMMV.

I listen to music most of the day and find it works just fine in that role. I don't watch much tv, instead I put on a movie. The UPA-7 is more than adequate for everything I ask it to do.

So, what are your listening habits? Lots of music? High levels? What is your ratio of music/tv/movies?

As for using your Kenwood as a pre/pro, if it has preamp output jacks it will work. Otherwise you will be shopping for a receiver too.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Only the sub is 78 dB, but that's weird. The sub only handles 150 watts, with a 78 dB sensitivity? It's power handling is 150, but what's it powered by? Says it's a powered sub, but does not say how much power?

That would seem to limit it's output to only 100 dB which seems a bit low to me.

It all seems a bit odd to me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am about 70/30 home theater to music listener. That may change though once I get higher quality music coming through.

Here is the specs on the sub.
http://www.emptek.com/html/e10s.html

Not sure if that offers anymore help.

I like to turn up the volume sometimes but not crazy. Wife doesnt like it as much as I do.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
For receivers, I'd take a look at Marantz, HK, Denon, and Onkyo all of which have amp sections that do well on the bench. Or, you could combine something like the Yamaha 663 with an Emotiva UPA-7 (biamp front towers) or XPA-5.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to go the separate route. One of the Emotiva amps and a good receiver like the Pioneer 1018. Looking for suggestions on exact models of receiver and amps I should consider. What Marantz is equal to the Pioneer 1018? I am running 5.1. Should I get a 5 channel amp or a 3 channel and run the rears off of the receiver? Like to stay as cost effective as possible. Is the Yamaha equivalent to the Pioneer?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The Pioneer 1018 is a fine receiver and great for a preamp. The equivalent Marantz would be the SR5003 which is substantially more expensive. Other options are the Yamaha 663 and HK 254. I think the XPA-5 would give you more power than you'd ever need. If you decide to go to 7.1, you can use the receiver's amps to power the last 2 channels.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The XPA-5 is out of my reach as far as price. That was why I was considering the XPA-3 for the fronts and receiver for the rears or UPA-7. Does the 5003 have all the same decoding, HDMI's as the Pioneer? How do the Yamaha 663 and HK 254 compare?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSTEELERS /forum/post/15488795

The XPA-5 is out of my reach as far as price. That was why I was considering the XPA-3 for the fronts and receiver for the rears or UPA-7. Does the 5003 have all the same decoding, HDMI's as the Pioneer? How do the Yamaha 663 and HK 254 compare?

The SR5003 does have all the decoding such as TrueHD, etc; it won't have as many DSP modes as the Yamaha or Pioneer if that floats your boat. The SR5003 retails for $799, but I think 6th Avenue is having some kind of special right now. The Yamaha 663 won't have as much power as a Marantz or HK in 5.1 or 7.1 mode, but paired with an EMO and all is good. Both the HK254 and Yamaha 663 can be had for under $400 and both have preouts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been looking at the tx-sr606 but, but I've been wondering if anyone could recommend a comparable receiver (or a little better) with specs similar to the 606 and for about the same or less money, for example, id there a comparable Denon? For speakers I have Polk Audio RM6880 5.1 - thanks, mj

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll check out the Yamaha and HK. What about my amp idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/15488867

The SR5003 does have all the decoding such as TrueHD, etc; it won't have as many DSP modes as the Yamaha or Pioneer if that floats your boat. The SR5003 retails for $799, but I think 6th Avenue is having some kind of special right now. The Yamaha 663 won't have as much power as a Marantz or HK in 5.1 or 7.1 mode, but paired with an EMO and all is good. Both the HK254 and Yamaha 663 can be had for under $400 and both have preouts.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15485451

Only the sub is 78 dB, but that's weird. The sub only handles 150 watts, with a 78 dB sensitivity? It's power handling is 150, but what's it powered by? Says it's a powered sub, but does not say how much power?

That would seem to limit it's output to only 100 dB which seems a bit low to me.

It all seems a bit odd to me.

The EF30T is 78db, and it is listed as the front towers. Either that or the sub has a crossover at 3000hz?

Did you read the specs? Its a 3 way speaker with one crossover? Thats weird.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Everyone

Excuse me for breaking into this thread. I hoping to get help on selecting an amplifier for the Salk SongTowers I've decided to buy.

On the Salk thread I've been told that 100 watts would be fine, but that 200 watts would sound better. Note that 100% of my listening is for 2-Channel Music in a 23 x 30 x 8 high room of an open concept bungalow

I'm a novice I have several questions I need help with:

I've noticed many posters are using their Receiver as a Pre Amp. If I need also buy a Tuner anyway. Why don't I just buy a Receiver instead of a Pre Amp?

What is the purpose of a DAC?

Other threads have recommended Denon, Emotiva and Van Alstine. Its becoming very hard to choose. Any suggestions on best way to decide

Gord

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
A DAC is a digital to analog converter. Some feel they make a difference. Some don't. It's just one electronic component out of 100s which could effect the sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts