AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to purchase an amp to hook up to my sony str da3300es along with a pair of martin logan source 8", a martin logan matinee Dual 5-1/4" center channel and a pair of martin logan fresco 4". I want to absoutly maximize these speakers without buying something i dont need. I would idealy like to spend about 600-700 bucks. I have no clue where to start and any help will be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
For your price range, I would recommend amps from Emotiva. The UPA-7 (125w x 7) is $650 or the XPA-5 (200w x 5) at $800 would be great choices. See the Emotiva Emotions thread for a lot of praise regarding Emotiva amps.


Other options in your price range will have to be used. You can always look on eBay, craigslist, or Audiogon for deals on used amps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesabi /forum/post/14340579


For your price range, I would recommend amps from Emotiva. The UPA-7 (125w x 7) is $650 or the XPA-5 (200w x 5) at $800 would be great choices. See the Emotiva Emotions thread for a lot of praise regarding Emotiva amps.


Other options in your price range will have to be used. You can always look on eBay, craigslist, or Audiogon for deals on used amps.

do you know where the xpa 5 is sold othere than on their website
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the two front speakers have a max of 200 watts, the center 150, and the rears 125. My receiver outputs 100watts, do i even need to go to a 5 channel amp, or will a stero or even 3 channel do me best
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros /forum/post/14340628


do i even need to go to a 5 channel amp, or will a stero or even 3 channel do me best

5 channel amps are more abundant than 3 channel and easier to find on used sites such as Audiogon, etc. That being said there is a B&K 3 channel amp for sale there now in your price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
You can also find good deals on used Acurus amps (made in the USA)....I have a 3-channel 100w amp that runs my power-hungry Thiel CS1.6 fronts and SCS2 center with no problems. I use the receiver's amp for the rear channels. Check Audiogon.


Another good bet is Outlaw as mentioned above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros /forum/post/14340603


do you know where the xpa 5 is sold othere than on their website

Other than ebay or craigslist, emotiva.com is the only authorized dealer for their products. the XPA-5 is shipping pretty quickly though since they have a good inventory of those. The UPA-7 might take a week to ship since it is relatively new.


For the best bang for your buck for a 5 channel amp, the Emotiva XPA-5 is probably the best option available right now.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top