AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was odd. Watched the BluRay of The Prestige last night. A few seconds into the movie the amp shuts off. Turn it back on, it shuts off again in a couple seconds. Repeat 3 or 4 times. This is with the 5.1 Uncompressed PCM track. Switch to 5.1 Dolby Digital and watch the entire movie without issue. Never had an issue before with uncompressed PCM. Didn't have time to check the speaker wires but I would think if that was the issue it still would have shut down. Any clues?

Onkyo 886

Sherwood Newcastle A-965

Oppo BDP-80

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Totally weird. It should not be in the power section because the amps see an analog signal that is based on conversion of a PCM signal in the DACs. The standard DD or DTS track is decoded to PCM before it gets to the DACs, so nothing should look any different at all to the DACs either. I can't really think of a reason that you'd lose sound with the PCM track, unless there's something on the disk that looks like a change in the HDMI handshake to the receiver, causing it to change some setting internally that kills the sound.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Might want to contact the manufacturer. Do you have any other disks with a PCM soundtrack to check?

What volume level were you playing at?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't have any other PCM disks at the moment. It was at the beginning of the film where there wasn't even that much sound besides some subtle music. I had the volume at a moderate level.

I'm getting Moon in the mail today so I'll see how it does with a DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack.

I'm thinking/hoping it was just something wonky with the The Prestige disc.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Definitely talk to the manufacturer, because this does seem abnormal.

If it's a disc issue, I have not heard of it, making me think it's not widespread/universal (and the movie seems like one a lot of people may have seen.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, it was the usual problem. Popped the Moon BluRay in last night and the amp was shutting off just for the Dolby Digital trailers. Went behind the rack and checked the connections. Both wires to one speaker were very, very loose. Plus the power cord to the amp itself was loose! After tightening everything was fine.

I was just thrown off by The Prestige playing completely fine when I switched tracks but it was just a coincidence.

Thanks for all the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.