AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have speakers in the main position that have a recomended power of up to 400 watts and my amp puts out 330 watts. So no problem there but I am about to change those speakers to speakers that are recomended up to 250 watts. Is this going to be a major problem? Are they going to be extremely easy to blow the new speakers out? Thanks for the help J.H.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonytheater /forum/post/0

Im still amazed at the guys that can have 2 to 3000 post & ask such a simple question.

Any way No it wont cause any problem. Your far better having too much power than not enough.

Oh well excuse me genius. It was a simple question and valid one at that.

·
Banned
516 Posts
Sorry I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I would just think that after having spent enough time to get to over 3000 post on the forum you would know the answer for such a simple question.

Aside from that if you have an amp with that much power I would assume you have separates & would have a better understanding of power handling.

Again, my apologies Im not trying to offend.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:

Sorry I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I would just think that after having spent enough time to get to over 3000 post on the forum you would know the answer for such a simple question.

Aside from that if you have an amp with that much power I would assume you have separates & would have a better understanding of power handling.

Again, my apologies Im not trying to offend.

I'm also sorry I should not have responded so snotty. Please except my apologies. Its just that I have heard and read that not enough power is worse for speakers but that really is contrary to what you would think ya know? Also this is a big difference. Speakers recomended at 250 watts and my amps are 320 watts I believe. I was just a bit concerned as I am getting my new speakers tomorrow. They are Definitive technology Mythos ones replacing my BP7002's. the BP7002's are amazing but want a change to direct firing speakers for a while at least plus my left BP7002 is in a corner and thats NOT GOOD for bipolar speakers. Thanks for the help though i appreciate it.

·
Banned
516 Posts
It's cool I've got pretty thick skin
I really didn't need to make my comment as i did to start.

Anyway if it adds any comfort to your question I have 600watts each behind my mains, & center. Than another 400 to each of my surrounds. All being a Klipsch set up that is already a very efficient speaker & dosent need near that much power. But it dose make for a very easy way to piss off or entertain the neighbors if you wont

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:

It's cool I've got pretty thick skin
I really didn't need to make my comment as i did to start.

Anyway if it adds any comfort to your question I have 600watts each behind my mains, & center. Than another 400 to each of my surrounds. All being a Klipsch set up that is already a very efficient speaker & dosent need near that much power. But it dose make for a very easy way to piss off or entertain the neighbors if you wont

I got ya on pissing off neighbors! 600 watts! What amp is that? I would imagine a digital amp right?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. /forum/post/0

I have speakers in the main position that have a recomended power of up to 400 watts and my amp puts out 330 watts. So no problem there but I am about to change those speakers to speakers that are recomended up to 250 watts. Is this going to be a major problem? Are they going to be extremely easy to blow the new speakers out? Thanks for the help J.H.

The only time problems will result is if you are reckless with the power.

·
Banned
516 Posts

Quote:

I got ya on pissing off neighbors! 600 watts! What amp is that? I would imagine a digital amp right?

Pro Audio amps, have a look at my home page.

Being reckless, getting carried away with the volume. Too much can be a bad thing without some self control. Getting a bit to happy with the volume can equal a good smoke show from your speakers.

It can honestly sometimes be harder to tell your limits with too much than not enough. In other words not enough power = distortion & for some (at least those with some common sense) a reminder its enough. More than enough power = pure bliss up to the speakers limits, going beyond that = well a good smoke show or a driver or two flying across a room

I could go well beyond my speakers ability without a problem. But unless I've had a few to many my common sense kicks in. Well most of the time

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Well, if you are bottoming out a woofer, it might be audible. I seem to be able to manage to do that playing Dark Side of the Moon. But that's on a bookshelf speaker.

The other possiblity as I understand it, is putting enough power into the drivers to overheat the driver motor. I am told that can cause driver failure.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:

Pro Audio amps, have a look at my home page.

Being reckless, getting carried away with the volume. Too much can be a bad thing without some self control. Getting a bit to happy with the volume can equal a good smoke show from your speakers.

It can honestly sometimes be harder to tell your limits with too much than not enough. In other words not enough power = distortion & for some (at least those with some common sense) a reminder its enough. More than enough power = pure bliss up to the speakers limits, going beyond that = well a good smoke show or a driver or two flying across a room

I could go well beyond my speakers ability without a problem. But unless I've had a few to many my common sense kicks in. Well most of the time

Yup thats what I have to. I have two QSC pro amps. They are awesome too. Lots of power.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
No, you cannot damage a speaker just by having too-capable an amplifier.

You can damage any speaker by turning up an amplifier too loud. Underpowered amplifiers in this situation are more dangerous than an overpowered amp. There is no such thing as too much headroom.

Also see the beginning of this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=clipping

The rest is just trolling idiocy.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/0

No, you cannot damage a speaker just by having too-capable an amplifier.

You can damage any speaker by turning up an amplifier too loud. Underpowered amplifiers in this situation are more dangerous than an overpowered amp. There is no such thing as too much headroom.

Also see the beginning of this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=clipping

The rest is just trolling idiocy.

Interesting thanks. I guess I'll just be careful with the new speakers with my pro amps.

·
Banned
3,257 Posts

Quote:

Interesting thanks. I guess I'll just be careful with the new speakers with my pro amps.

Just in case your interested, this link below will dispel the prevailing myth i.e. 'low power amps damaging speakers'. Clipping a signal pre or post amplification on (high/low) powered designs makes little difference

Quote:
http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au...ne/note128.pdf

Power amplifier clipping is quite common. This note examines the clipping phenomenon which allegedly damages loudspeakers. We suggest that this form of distortion is not the cause. Rather, we show that amplitude compression of the audio spectrum is the culprit.

Well, it was reasoned, if there is enough low frequency energy to clip the amplifier, then it perhaps would produce enough high frequency distortion products (as a result of clipping) to blow up the tweeter. This theory convinced many in the early 70's and slowly evolved into fact

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:

Please explain? What does recklace exactly mean? Don't push it is what you are saying?

Yeah, that's what I mean.

When the speakers start making strange noises that are not part of the music
, that means turn it down.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrunet /forum/post/0

Just in case your interested, this link below will dispel the prevailing myth i.e. 'low power amps damaging speakers'. Clipping a signal pre or post amplification on (high/low) powered designs makes little difference

Great article.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrunet /forum/post/0

So help me out here... is the gist of the article that the tweeters are not damaged because the high-frequency signals are clipped? But that the low frequency signals are clipped, limiting the LF loudness which makes us turn up the volume and therefore overdriving the tweeters to their death?

So adding more power will prevent LF clipping, providing more uniform HF/LF loudness and eliminate the need to keep turning up the volume.. which will prevent blown tweeters?

It sounds like these limiters will keep the levels in check for all frequencies once the clipping threshold is exceeded for any frequency.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.