AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my last one died and need a new amp. Budget is 500-550

I live in Canada and will probably buy it from Futureshop.

The current speakers I have now are probably around 900-1100 watts

I would be hooking up two 8 inch subs to it

If no one can pick a specific amp just give me some info about brands or what I should be looking for as I really know nothing. The amp that just died a friend sold me it for 50$.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just need something that will make my speakers work that can take inputs from a tv/ipod/PC etc. I think that might be integrated? not sure. I think a receiver is where you can plug in all your game consoles and tv etc and run everything from there? I don't need that.

Well I would be hooking up these old JVC shelf stereo speakers they have 4 plugs in the back 2 negative and 2 positives. It because each one has a sub woofer and a normal speaker I think there 200 watts a piece. Then I have two tower speakers and a center.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 5.1 amp before and I just had the JVC shelf speakers on stereo a and b so I could turn them both on and have sound coming from the same direction left and right of my tv Then I had the towers on surround and had them behind me. Center was on top of the tv.

So something like that I guess. Or is it a bad idea. Should I get a 7.1 and use that set up but add two more speakers.

·
Registered
233 Posts
A 7.1 capable receiver doesn't require you to use 7 speakers. In fact, you could just use it's headphone jack and no speakers. So, any combination of speakers from 0-7. Does this help answer your question?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
It is still not clear what you really want/need...

What model JVC speakers do you have?

Do you have any speakers other than those 2? Do you plan to get any more or only those two always?

What devices do you have that you want to play the sound through this system on (type of device and model)?

Then we can help

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/20774504

It is still not clear what you really want/need...

What model JVC speakers do you have?

Do you have any speakers other than those 2? Do you plan to get any more or only those two always?

What devices do you have that you want to play the sound through this system on (type of device and model)?

Then we can help

I have these jvc speakers. The center cd changer that came with it died long ago. The speakers still work fine though.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-MXJ900-Com.../dp/B00004SD95

Beside the two jvc speakers I have two towers and a center as I said before.

I would be hooking up my pc to the amp as well as my tv.

Those JVC shelf speakers pound. I want to hook them up or should I even bother? I think they killed my last amp.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsGambit /forum/post/20777677

Beside the two jvc speakers I have two towers and a center as I said before.

What make and model are they?

Do you have the manual for your old JVC unit? If so, can you pass along all of the specs for the speakers. Most of those all in one type units do not use standard 8 ohm speakers, so if you hooked them up to another amp, yes, they could have blown it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240
What make and model are they?

Do you have the manual for your old JVC unit? If so, can you pass along all of the specs for the speakers. Most of those all in one type units do not use standard 8 ohm speakers, so if you hooked them up to another amp, yes, they could have blown it.
JVC Shelf speakers x 2

Subwoofers: 84 w per channel. min, RMS both channels driven into 6 ohm as 63 Hz with no more then 0.9% total harmonie Distortion.

Speakers: 20 w per channel min. RMS, both channels driven in 6 ohm at 1 khz with no more than 0.9% total harmonie distortion.

Audio input sensetivity/Impedance(at 1khz, measure at main speakers)

Aux: 340 mV/50kohm

Audio output

Aux: 260mV

Digital Optical Output

Signal wave length: 660nm

Output level: - 15 dBm lo - 12 dBm

Speaker impedance: 6-16

On the back of speakers it has these stats

Maine speaker 50 w, Impedance 6

Subwoofer 150 w, impedance 6

The tower speakers I have are, Akai SR-cas02 x 2

Max power - 130 w

Woofer - 250 mm

Midrange - 100 mm

Tweeter- 65 mm

System impedance - 8

The Center I have is, BIC Venturi V52CLR Black Center Channel Speaker

Specifications

Enclosure: Black Vinyl Clad MDF Composite Board

Frequency Response: 55 Hz- 20 kHz

Characteristic Sensitivity: [email protected] 1 watt. 1 meter

Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms

Recommended Amplifier Power: 5 - 125 watts

Height: 6-1/2 in

Width: 22 in

Depth: 10 in

Shipping Weight: 19 lbs

Color: Black

I just put ohm where it shows the Omega symbol. Is that correct?

my amp didn't totally die just the L side of A and B stopped working which I had one of the JVC speakers hooked up to.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I would NOT use those JVC. There is no way to determine the crossover you need. And, "making them work"(counting in time for "trial and error") would cost more than buying either one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-...2478757&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-B652-2-...2478788&sr=1-1

And these two options (the Sony at $45 is the lowest I've seen it...based on RIGHT NOW pricing) are much better anyway.

Those Akai, the closest I can find are Ca3 models. If they sound decent, keep em. They aren't worth selling(the only pair I could find were $10).

If you want to match the 52CLRS, the DV62 on Amazon is $110-ish, all the time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20779471

I would NOT use those JVC. There is no way to determine the crossover you need. And, "making them work"(counting in time for "trial and error") would cost more than buying either one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-...2478757&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-B652-2-...2478788&sr=1-1

And these two options (the Sony at $45 is the lowest I've seen it...based on RIGHT NOW pricing) are much better anyway.

Those Akai, the closest I can find are Ca3 models. If they sound decent, keep em. They aren't worth selling(the only pair I could find were $10).

If you want to match the 52CLRS, the DV62 on Amazon is $110-ish, all the time.

Those JVC speakers shake my house. You saying those sony ones will accomplish that?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Have you tried to just find a replacement for the electronics module of the JVC if you like it so much?

Here's one in Brantford for $80.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.