AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few weeks ago if purchasing an Emotiva XPA-3 would be a worthy upgrade and got mixed responses. My main problem was some static or clipping in the highs during explosions or action scenes, I often listen near reference levels. My habits are 85% HT and 15% Music. I am looking for more punch in my system. What would yield the best result. Adding a EMO XPA-3 or adding another matching sub (Energy S10.3)? Given my room size and the amount of furniture already in there, adding another sub is going to be difficult but I can probably make it happen.

System Specs:

Pioneer Elite VSX-03TXH

Energy Speakers:

2 C-500

1 C-C100

2 C-200

2 C-50

1 S10.3

(Speakers set to small and crossover is at 80Hz)

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not knowing much about your specific speakers, I'd say that in most cases, adding a quality sub will help most systems. It can potentially make your mains sounds better or relieve some power issues as your receiver will not have to work as hard to drive them. With a dedicated powered sub, most of the load driving the low frequencies will be handled by the sub amp, and this can drastically reduce the load on your receiver.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'd look into replacing your main speakers personally. They're probably the weakest link.

Another identical sub is only going to get you something like another 3db SPL over what you have currently. IIRC. So you are looking at something like $700+ for a noticeably better sub.

I doubt the XPA-3 is going to get you much of a benefit with the C-500s.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
agree with tpn...

given that those speakers are resonably efficient, the avr probably isn't running out of juice... unless you have a pretty large room to fill...

op, you say "static or clipping"? which one? or both?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually just hooked up my Elite VSX-03 today. I had been using the 1019 the last few weeks. The static and clipping is gone. I guess the 1019 was the weakest link. I am still thinking about adding a sub dedicated to the mid bass and eventually upgrading my mains down the line. But not for a while, I just dropped $3200 on my new 60" KURO.

Thx guys!

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
If you adding a sub and reference volume is what you after, then add one that would actually do real justice for the low end, as the S10.3 is not what I would consider as such.It would do well for midbass. I'm not knocking your sub here, but if you really want reference output at low FRs, a single 10"er just won't do the trick unless you have an extremely small room.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/16945808

If you adding a sub and reference volume is what you after, then add one that would actually do real justice for the low end, as the S10.3 is not what I would consider as such.It would do well for midbass. I'm not knocking your sub here, but if you really want reference output at low FRs, a single 10"er just won't do the trick unless you have an extremely small room.

Have any recommendations with a budget of $500?

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
This clipping or static...where does it come from? The mains or the sub? That'll give you a clue of where the problem is. I know you say it's in the highs but you also say it tends to occur during explosions. Offhand, are you sure your current sub is placed well for your seating position?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikk7 /forum/post/16945971

look at SVS, HSU, elemental designs, to name a few...the sub forum is full of good info. as a general rule, you will get more bang for your buck with the internet-direct brands.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikk7 /forum/post/16945971

I would allocate $1000-1500 if you can. If not I would wait and save up for it. I agree that ID subs are the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That sub is weak for HT use! Try something like this!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-763

They have it in kit form as well. I bought one and it's super duper nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikk7 /forum/post/16938738

I posted a few weeks ago if purchasing an Emotiva XPA-3 would be a worthy upgrade and got mixed responses. My main problem was some static or clipping in the highs during explosions or action scenes, I often listen near reference levels. My habits are 85% HT and 15% Music. I am looking for more punch in my system. What would yield the best result. Adding a EMO XPA-3 or adding another matching sub (Energy S10.3)? Given my room size and the amount of furniture already in there, adding another sub is going to be difficult but I can probably make it happen.

System Specs:

Pioneer Elite VSX-03TXH

Energy Speakers:

2 C-500

1 C-C100

2 C-200

2 C-50

1 S10.3

(Speakers set to small and crossover is at 80Hz)

Thanks in advanced!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts