AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding video amplification requirements when distributing digital cable TV via RG6, and I was hoping for some advice...

I have a Home Director box in my home for distributing cable, network, and telephone. It seems to be just the basic unit - the cable comes in to a passive 4-way splitter to send it out to my wall jacks. I have more cable runs that I need to get the signal to, and I'm concerned about signal degradation. I have Time Warner digital cable service (no HD yet, but soon!) with a cable modem, and currently I'm not using the Home Director module at all for distribution - I have a TW-provided 2-way splitter with 3db loss at each port, with one end going to the cable modem, and the other going to another 2-way splitter that sends the signal directly to the living room wall jack (most important to get the best signal to), and to an AVCast box that then sends the signal to 4 other jacks in the house, so that I can share video from different sources between these 4 jacks. The AVCast box claims amplification to all 4 outputs to boost the distributed signal, but I notice signs that it might not amplify quite enough - some digital channels on this part of the network intermittently can't be pulled in at all, and at other times I get blocky stop-motion type video.

What I'm looking for is the cheapest possible solution to perform the basic task of amplifying the full range of the signal everywhere it needs to go. The splitter/AVCast setup is negotiable (obviously with 2 splitters inline I'm getting a good 6 db loss).

My question is - can I use an inline amplifier of some kind to boost the whole signal once and then send it where it needs to go, or is it better to use some sort of amplified multiplexer so that the signal is jacked up to each individual location? I've come across something from Channel Vision that might do the trick at around $95 as an inline amp ( http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/...00/prrfnbr/257 )... but most of the actual video distribution amplifiers that I'm coming across cost a lot more than I'd like to pay.

Any thoughts or advice regarding one way or the other, or is there something out there that I'm not aware of that would do the best job for the money? How much amplification is really needed in this situation? I don't know the exact length of the RG6 runs, but the house is about 2100 square feet, with the distribution point more or less centrally located on the second floor. I think that bi-directional capability would be good to maintain.

Sorry for the lenghty post, and thanks in advance for any help...

Descolada

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.