AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently planning to get either a used Parasound hca 2205a or a used Earthquake Cine Nova Grande. The earthquake seems more powerful and is a bit more expensive but not by much. Which would you guys choose?

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Thought...which is easier/cheaper to get repaired? Which has the better track record for reliability?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I considered both these amps as well.. from my limited audition I preferred the Cinenova to the 2205A

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys so earthquake it is

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Boxed in a wooden crate, yes.

Crazy powerful? Well, that's relative.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
There's a few, but yeah, not too many in a one-box solution.

It's still relative though. Four pro amps in 2RU spaces will take up about the same amount of room and could easily net way more power at similar or perhaps even less cost.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/19635543

Anthem Statement P5

http://www.anthemav.com/products/ant...r/p-series/p-5

Honestly, though, it seems more trouble than it is worth. Two power cables for two 15 A circuits. 10 in height. 23 in depth. 130 lb weight.

AJ

I'm about to get one of these. Yes, the electrician came and added a dedicated line. When you consider the real reason most of us that get 300w do so, the two power cables is an added benefit.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzzo /forum/post/19635701

I'm about to get one of these. Yes, the electrician came and added a dedicated line. When you consider the real reason most of us that get 300w do so, the two power cables is an added benefit.

That's one beastie amp. 325 watts in 8 ohms, 500 watts in 4 ohms, and 675 watts in 2 ohms. And those numbers are with all channels driven, and each channel is a monoblock. The P2 has the exact same numbers.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzzo /forum/post/19635701

No way. I would much rather have a three channel 300 W amp at the front of the room and a two channel 300 W amp at the back (e.g. Bryston 6B ST & 4B ST).

AJ

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength
No way. I would much rather have a three channel 300 W amp at the front of the room and a two channel 300 W amp at the back (e.g. Bryston 6B ST & 4B ST).

AJ
Yes, Brystons are very nice amps too. I guess it depends on the amount of room he has. If he wants to get into the 300 watts arena, then a P5 equals one amp for a 5.1 setup, and Brystons equals 2 amps for a 5.1 setup. I don't think either will be the wrong decision.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
he could look into Sunfire amps..

Older models are 400x5 (signature grand)

TGA-7400 (400x7) what I have and TGA-5400 (400x5)

TGA-7401 and TGA-5401 newer models.

I've seen the older 400x5 under 2K all the time.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 /forum/post/19635804

That's one beastie amp. 325 watts in 8 ohms, 500 watts in 4 ohms, and 675 watts in 2 ohms. And those numbers are with all channels driven, and each channel is a monoblock. The P2 has the exact same numbers.

I like the idea of consolidated monoblocks. But if I'm going to do that, I'd prefer larger companies with strong track records of providing power and offering refined, unflawed products. So I'm going with SDG&E and Anthem.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzzo /forum/post/19640452

Why?

Let me count the ways...

1. Adding an extra 15 A circuit is a pain in the ass.

2. Moving a 130 lb amp is a pain in the back.

3. Shipping a 130 lb amp (should the need to repair or sell ever arise) is also a pain in the back, as well as a pain in the wallet.

4. Placing one ginormous amp at one spot does nothing to improve heat circulation in the room.

5. Cramming five channels into one chassis does nothing to improve channel separation.

6. Running long lengths of speaker cable to at least one pair of speakers does nothing to improve damping factor.

Using two approximately 60 lb amps, one at the front of the room and one at the back, is a potentially superior solution in every one of those regards.

AJ

1 - 20 of 32 Posts