AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just replaced my Klipsch RF-82's with a pair of KEF 207's and, in doing so, necessitated a processor and amp upgrade. After drawing on some past research and doing a little digging around, I've reserved an Emotiva UMC-1, and am now debating the purchase of either a pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, or an Emotiva XPA-2.

My question is, how much power do the KEF 207's require? will I really hear that much of a difference between the mono block XPA1's @500wpc when compared to the XPA2 @300wpc? After my $100 rebate on the UMC1, the XPA2 would run a mere $609 shipped as opposed to $1558 shipped for the XPA1's. The 207's have a sensitivity of 91dB/2.83V/m, and a nominal impedance of 8 ohms (3 ohms minimum). I listen 80/20 to music/movies, respectively. With my old surround sound setup gone, both movies and music will be 2-channel only.

While, based on my research, I'm pretty set on the Emotiva processor and amp combo, I'd be happy to consider other suggestions if someone feels that i am making a major oversight. Also, if anyone in the Austin, Tx area is looking for a good deal on a surround sound set up, feel free to check out my Klipsch system on craigslist
:

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/2101346304.html

Thanks,

Craig Rhyne

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My suggestion is to go with a pair of XPA-1's. The XPA-2 is a good amplifier. I currently have a pair of XPA-1's for my mains. I have tried the XPA-2, it's good but for the money you are spending on those speakers a pair of XPA-1's is better suited for the job. There is a difference in sound between the XPA-1's and the XPA-2. I prefer the sound of the XPA-1's with my speakers.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
1) if all you are setting up is a 2 channel system, there's likely many better choices than the umc-1... even if setting up a multi-channel system, there's many better choices...

2) unless you have a VERY large room (or regularly make your eardrums bleed), all of your amplifier choices are well into the range of overkill for the speakers at hand...

imo, any 4-500 avr would be a better choice... get something with pre-outs, so if you want to feed your amplifier jones somewhere down the line, you can...

otherwise, i'd go with a 2-channel pre-amp...

but that's imo, ymmv, etc.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I agree about staying away from the UMC-1. There have been a lot of issues with Emotiva's processor pre amps. An AVR with pre outs would be a better choice. The OP specifically asked about those two amps so that is why I gave him the information about them. They might be a little over kill. Sometimes over kill is fun. It won't hurt anything.

He seems like he has some money to spend by purchasing those speakers. If he was debating on which one of those two amps to use with those speakers I would still go with a pair of XPA-1's. If he had given some other choices in his debate I may or may not change my mind. I would have to know what the other choices where.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

all fair enough points...
having swum in the pond of overkill myself, i know it can be quite enjoyable...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/19616359

My suggestion is to go with a pair of XPA-1's. The XPA-2 is a good amplifier. I currently have a pair of XPA-1's for my mains. I have tried the XPA-2, it's good but for the money you are spending on those speakers a pair of XPA-1's is better suited for the job. There is a difference in sound between the XPA-1's and the XPA-2. I prefer the sound of the XPA-1's with my speakers.

Secret Squirrel,

Thanks for the input. What sort of sonic differences have you noticed between the XPA-1s and the XPA-2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19616560

1) if all you are setting up is a 2 channel system, there's likely many better choices than the umc-1... even if setting up a multi-channel system, there's many better choices...

Any units in particular? I intend to set up a two channel system that will be used for both listening to music, and watching movies on the projector. It is important to me that the processor have HDMI connectivity as I use it as a hub to connect everything to my ceiling mounted PJ.

Quote:

2) unless you have a VERY large room (or regularly make your eardrums bleed), all of your amplifier choices are well into the range of overkill for the speakers at hand...

I generally don't listen to music all that loud. With the amplifier and preamp upgrade I'm really looking for an improvement in sound quality at moderate sound levels. Currently, and temporarily, I have the speakers plugged directly into my old Onkyo SR674. To be honest, aside from the off-axis response, they really don't sound all that much better than the RF-82's. I've been chalking up this lack of performance to what I assumed to be a lack of power, and generally poor amplification and processing (relative to the quality and sheer size of the speakers). I guess I might have been buying into some of the ever so popular hifi snake oil (and being an engineer I should know better), but I expected that the three 10" woofers, 8" woofer, and separate tweeter would require quite a bit of juice to be accurately controlled.

Quote:

imo, any 4-500 avr would be a better choice... get something with pre-outs, so if you want to feed your amplifier jones somewhere down the line, you can...

otherwise, i'd go with a 2-channel pre-amp...

but that's imo, ymmv, etc.

Can you expand on this further? Unless I'm mistaken, the UMC-1 is both a processor and a preamplifier, and therefore has pre-outs. From what I've read, I was under the impression that the UMC-1 was basically a very high quality avr without built in amplification. Also, what specifically are you referring to when you use the term "jones"?

One of the reviews I was basing my opinion of the UMC1 on can be found here:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...-1-User-Review

Thanks,

Craig Rhyne

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I liked the XPA-2's performance and had reservations that a pair of XPA-1's would sound different. The XPA-1's did sound different. For the better in my application. I even asked an Emotiva engineer about them sounding different and he said "They are different". They are built differently and they often sound different. The XPA-2 added a bright almost harsh sound to the highs with some music content. I didn't notice this as much with movie content. The XPA-1's sounded more relaxed and neutral with the highs and just sounded better to my ears. They also seemed to have more clarity and detail in the highs than the XPA-2 without the harshness. Both amps improved bass qualities, but I think the mono blocks shine a little better here also. They both have endless amounts of power. I would suggest giving Lonnie a call at Emotiva and he can explain the main differences between the amps better than I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts