AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I recently purchased an Audio Source AMP 100 stereo amplifier to increase the volume for my record player. I just got a Sony record player and have been running it through a standard Insignia receiver. The sound is good, but the volume is quite low especially for 180 g records. I thought that the solution would be to buy an amplifier, hook it up, and the record player would play louder. Did I mention that I am a home stereo novice?

The first plan I had was to hook the record player into the input of the amplifier, and then the output of the amplifier into the receiver. As you may have guessed since I am asking for advice...this didn't do too much.

Next, I tried hooking the record player up to the receiver, then the receiver to the amplifier and hook up my speakers to the amplifier, but again nothing. This configuration does amplify the hell out of my cd player, and the tuner, but not so much for the record player.

Am I overlooking something obvious? Did I buy the wrong equipment?

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

If you need more information about the equipment, just let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdian /forum/post/14169537

Hello All,

The first plan I had was to hook the record player into the input of the amplifier, and then the output of the amplifier into the receiver. As you may have guessed since I am asking for advice...this didn't do too much.

Next, I tried hooking the record player up to the receiver, then the receiver to the amplifier and hook up my speakers to the amplifier, but again nothing. This configuration does amplify the hell out of my cd player, and the tuner, but not so much for the record player.

If you need more information about the equipment, just let me know.

Thanks.

a record player (aka turntable with cartridge) needs a phono input on amp or receiver in order to work properly.

which output of your amp into which input of your receiver?

vice versa-same question?

just in case you're doing so, DO NOT HOOK UP AMP OR RECEIVER SPEAKER OUTPUTS TO ANY AMP OR RECEIVER INPUTS!! could damage something, imo.

please provide details of everything!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My favorite recipe for setting up a standard sound system is:

audio input device through pre-amp into amplifier.

I would definitely NOT plug an amp into a receiver.... smells like burning all of a sudden...

I would look into getting a pre-amp to boost the signal output of the R/P.

This recipe is fuctional for my dad.

Technics R/P into classic early '70s Sony pre-amp into an aux input of his receiver. He has experimented a lot and this provides adequate signal for the receiver without cranking it past 11.

i hope this helps... and i hope if i am in error anywhere here, it will be pointed out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The amplifier has two inputs and one output:

Line 1 in

Line 2 in

Line 2 out

The receiver has the following input/outputs:

DVD input

CD input

VCR input

DVD input

Receiver output

Amp input

Pre in output

I have tried the following configurations:

1. Record player to Amp Line 2 input --- Amp Line 2 output to Rec Aux input--- Speakers connected to Receiver

2. Record player to Receiver Aux input --- Receiver output to Amp Line 1 or Line 2 input--- Speakers connected to Amplifier

3. Record player to Amp Line 2 input --- Amp Line 2 output to Rec Amp input --- Rec Pre in output to Rec Aux input

So far these do not do much better than just hooking the record player in to Rec Aux input.

Hope this clarifies some things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8bass /forum/post/14169710

My favorite recipe for setting up a standard sound system is:

audio input device through pre-amp into amplifier.

I would definitely NOT plug an amp into a receiver.... smells like burning all of a sudden...

I would look into getting a pre-amp to boost the signal output of the R/P.

This recipe is fuctional for my dad.

Technics R/P into classic early '70s Sony pre-amp into an aux input of his receiver. He has experimented a lot and this provides adequate signal for the receiver without cranking it past 11.

i hope this helps... and i hope if i am in error anywhere here, it will be pointed out.

Sorry didn't see this before I reposted.

Now this is probably a stupid question...but here goes. Is a pre-amplifier different than an amplifier like the one I purchased (Audiosource AMP 100). If so, is that what I need instead?

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdian /forum/post/14169744

The amplifier has two inputs and one output:

Line 1 in

Line 2 in

Line 2 out

The receiver has the following input/outputs:

DVD input

CD input

VCR input

DVD input

Receiver output

Amp input

Pre in output

I have tried the following configurations:

1. Record player to Amp Line 2 input --- Amp Line 2 output to Rec Aux input--- Speakers connected to Receiver

2. Record player to Receiver Aux input --- Receiver output to Amp Line 1 or Line 2 input--- Speakers connected to Amplifier

3. Record player to Amp Line 2 input --- Amp Line 2 output to Rec Amp input --- Rec Pre in output to Rec Aux input

So far these do not do much better than just hooking the record player in to Rec Aux input.

Hope this clarifies some things.

i think all u need is the phono stage (preamp). try phonopreamps.com

or google phono preamps for other resellers.

most older amps, receivers, etc have phono preamps built in. newer ones may not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your help. It looks like I do indeed need a phono preamp. Should have came to you guys first.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts