AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking to connect my amplifier to my receiver using RCA cables. Is it ok or the same thing if i use composite video cables to do this instead of audio cables? With i be loosing or missing anything or is it the same thing? I have a bunch of these laying around and would rather use them instead of buying new ones, unless of course it is not good to do so.

What about Component video cables?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
You might have to be a bit more specific when you refer to "composite video cables". A normal set of Composite cables come with one yellow, one red and one white. If this is the case the red and white cables are meant for the audio. Most of the video cables that come in a pack like that are usually made of the same material as the RCA audio cables, but you should just stick to the cables that are labeled as audio cables (red and white). I wouldn't use RGB (YPbPr) cables for audio as most of the time their made of RG-59 co-ax cable and those are not meant for audio at all.

Personally, I am a strong believer in using the right equipment and tools. I won't set up a system using anything other than what should rightly belong.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, i see what you are saying. I was referring to just the yellow cable and no actually audio. So that being said, if i forget about the video cables then )composite and component), is it ok to us digital coaxial cables then? They are audio.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
Any of those cables will work fine. I would try to use identical cables for paired channels. So, either identical composite (yellow-end) video cables or 2 of a set of 3 composite video cables for the front pair and surround pair(s).

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am actually referring to Separate Amplifier to Receiver. I have an Outlaw 7700 amp, that I would connect to the pre-outs of my Yamaha receiver.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim  /t/1467544/amplifier-to-receiver-connections#post_23184255

Any of those cables will work fine. I would try to use identical cables for paired channels. So, either identical composite (yellow-end) video cables or 2 of a set of 3 composite video cables for the front pair and surround pair(s).

Would Digital Coax audio cables be ok?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jak  /t/1467544/amplifier-to-receiver-connections#post_23184177

...you should just stick to the cables that are labeled as audio cables (red and white). I wouldn't use RGB (YPbPr) cables for audio as most of the time their made of RG-59 co-ax cable and those are not meant for audio at all.
BS. Video cables are just fine for audio. So are digital audio cables.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
FWIW I ran my sub using video cable for a while without damage to anything, the sun didn't go supernova and AFAIK no beasties from the black beyond have entered the house to torture me . . .. Video cables are supposed to have a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms, which means kind of nothing on the audio side (characteristic impedance is IIRC about the geometry of the coax cable, and definitely has nothing to do with the measurable resistance presented by the cable), and they should work just fine.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex  /t/1467544/amplifier-to-receiver-connections#post_23184297

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim  /t/1467544/amplifier-to-receiver-connections#post_23184255

Would Digital Coax audio cables be ok?

They are fine. I've been using them for analog audio on and off for years.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, thanks guys! Appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jak  /t/1467544/amplifier-to-receiver-connections#post_23184263

I have used RG-56 and it worked fine for my S/PDIF connection.
Wrong cable. RG-56 is 48 ohms. S/PDIF is designed for 75 ohms. Just goes to show that characteristic impedance isn't very important on short runs.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jak  /t/1467544/amplifier-to-receiver-connections#post_23184263

I have used RG-56 and it worked fine for my S/PDIF connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm  /t/1467544/amplifier-to-receiver-connections#post_23184381

Wrong cable. RG-56 is 48 ohms.

I suspect he meant "RG-59".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts