AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back of my old Yamaha receiver has the speaker terminals marked 8 ohm. There is 12 gauge wire to a speaker and the speaker is marked 4 ohms. I know these are approximate numbers and the impedance may vary by frequency. However, since this is in theory a mismatch, what does that mean assuming nothing goes below 4 ohms?

1. Is there wasted power output from the receiver?

2. How much power given a max of 100 watts per channel might be wasted? A db or two which may or may not be significant?

3. What if the receiver is 4 ohms and the speaker is 8 ohms?

4. I think two 8 ohm speakers tied together (red-to-red and black-to-black) make 4 ohms. Would that match, in theory, to a 4 ohm receiver?

5. Might a mismatch result in a diminished frequency response, phase problems, distortion, etc.?

Take Aim

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
How heavy is your Yamaha Receiver?

If its 30 pounds it should be fine.

4 Ohm speakers tend to take more current than 8 ohm. At moderate levels most receivers can run 4 ohm speakers, but cheap receivers will cut out as you turn the volume high.

The mismatch is not a big deal, but the quality of your amplifier in your receiver is. If your receiver is some cheap thing, then you could blow it, but thats unlikely, since its a Yamaha.

The symptom to look out for is when the receiver shuts down, or the bass seems weak, and theres no dynamics...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.